Television Spaceman help

Bass33

Hi there folks, just wondering if anyone can help me. I have just bought an Alps television spaceman.

When i got him his arms are in the upright position. I was just wondering if i can pull them down without doing any damage.

Also the space scene does not work which im a bit disappointed because i was told it was fully fuctional.

Any help would be greatly appreicated, regards Kevin

Hi there folks, just wondering if anyone can help me. I have just bought an Alps television spaceman.

When i got him his arms are in the upright position. I was just wondering if i can pull them down without doing any damage.

Also the space scene does not work which im a bit disappointed because i was told it was fully fuctional.

Any help would be greatly appreicated, regards Kevin

Hello Kevin

Yes you can put the arms down, not a problem.

For the movie...you need to open up the robot to get it going again.

many times these movies are stuck. several reasons. The paper get stuck, the mechanism jammed or the drive mechanism broken.

Only way to fix this is to open up the robot but be warned: These robot are not the most easy robot to work on.

if you are not sure then leave the robot the way it is, otherwise the damage will be much more then only the movie that does not run.

I hope this helps, good luck !

Marco

Hello Kevin

Yes you can put the arms down, not a problem.

For the movie...you need to open up the robot to get it going again.

many times these movies are stuck. several reasons. The paper get stuck, the mechanism jammed or the drive mechanism broken.

Only way to fix this is to open up the robot but be warned: These robot are not the most easy robot to work on.

if you are not sure then leave the robot the way it is, otherwise the damage will be much more then only the movie that does not run.

I hope this helps, good luck !

Marco

Thanks Marco, I think i will leave it the way it is. Does it matter which way i pull the arms down? It seems that when i start to move them the legs also want to move.

I have gotten some old robots in the past to put brand new batteries in them and they don't work. Turns out the batteries are the problem. For some reason, the modern batteries have a different shape or configuration that some of the old toys, like Remco LIS Robots,don't work. THey ended up working when I went to the dollar store and got cheap, old fashioned batteries. That MIGHT be the issue here.

I have gotten some old robots in the past to put brand new batteries in them and they don't work. Turns out the batteries are the problem. For some reason, the modern batteries have a different shape or configuration that some of the old toys, like Remco LIS Robots,don't work. THey ended up working when I went to the dollar store and got cheap, old fashioned batteries. That MIGHT be the issue here.

Cheers, I'll give that a go,

The arms are connected to the leg linkage thats why the legs move abit when you try to move the arms. Also the arms have a fiber slip cluch design, its OK to move them in either direction. They are built this way so that if a kid grabs the arms and holdes them when the toy is running that nothing will be damaged. The moving picture part has been discussed many time before here on the Drome so you should be able to do a search here in robot talk to find some of the past treads on how it works and see pictures from inside the robot. But basicly there is a fancy rubber pinch roler set up that makes the paper loop move around. There is a flex drive shaft that powers this function. If the flex drive shaft is broken then that would have to be replaced but more often one of the rubber pich rolers will get a flat spot on it from sitting in the same postion for many years and this can make the paper picture loop get stuck. You might find that it suddenly starts working again for no reason and that would be a indicator of the flat spot on the drive rubber roler.

It's actually not nearly as frightening as it looks. I've had a few of them open and it went fine (and I'm certainly no expert). Have a look on other topics on here, open it up and I'm pretty sure that giving the mechanism a gentle push with the batteries in it will get it going again. It's such a great action so certainly worth the effort!

Good luck!

If the eBay listing states it was fully functional, I would complain to the seller and paypal about it, ask for a partial refund, you did pay for a working robot....

I just finished fixing mine a few days ago. I hope this pic helps you see how the arm is designed. As John mentioned, there is a rubber disk in the joint that allows the arm to be positioned and remain in place. If your arm is very tight, be careful not to force anything -you may tear the rubber disk. To get my film moving, I just had to remove it from them the rollers and let it relax a bit. The paper was formed to the rollers and could not be pulled/pushed through the mechanism. I also added a little more tension to the spring on the drive roller.

Take care.

post-722-0-48507800-1327974799.jpg

Thanks so much everyone for all of your suggestions. I have moved the arms down and im already happier. Also i did talk to the seller and he refunded me $100 dollars which i think was fair, as cosmeticaly the robot looks great. I'll just have a go at getting the film rolling now. Thanks again a everyone for all your advice, regards Kevin

• Brian.. changed the title to Television Spaceman help

Archived