Missile Man - Inside the rare robot

robothut

I had the opportunity to repair a Missile Man robot. 1 of the gang of 3 Missile Man , Rocket Man and Moon Explorer, I have to say that Missile Man was one that I always wanted to get inside of just to see how they did the mechanics of those chest missiles that are more than twice as long as the body is deep. Here is a short youtube of the robot in action.

I have repaired Rocket Man in the past and own a Moon Explorer so there mechanics are already known too me.

post-7-0-28396700-1327444397.jpg

post-7-0-84763400-1327444438.jpg

The way it works is like this. There is a cam that controls the movment of a gear box shaft, not unlike all other robots that have times sequence functions. This moving shaft once engaged causes a slip clutch to dis engauge. This release a pully that has a metal chain wrapped around it, the other end of the chain is connected to the 3 part missiles. The missiles are spring loaded to want to expand out to there full lenth. Then once the cam has shifted the gear box shaft back again this engauges the slip clutch and the chain is wound up on the pully again. This pulls the missiles back in to each other. Once they are in as far as they can go the chain and clutch bind up. The slip part of the clutch is what keeps the gear box from binding up and stopping. The slip clutch is two metal plates that are pushed together by a spring, so as one one metal plate is driven buy the gear box the other metal plate that is connect3d to the chain pully will rotate as well. Once the chain is all wound back up and can no longer move the two metal plates then slip but maintain tension on the pully chain set up. The only bad part of the design is that fact that they used a plastic pinion gear on the motor drive and this was split as they all do at some time. I put in a nylon replacement that should last a long time "I hope".

post-7-0-28866800-1327445274.jpg

post-7-0-78922100-1327445317.jpg

Wow, the machine gun sort of noise is rather pale and pathetic compared to the angry grinding gear noise! I love the springing rockets! This one has always seemed like a poor brother to the other two. I don't think I'd noticed that it's entirely free of litho before. I don't like all the extra plastic either - it's all so gray. Does anyone have a date? Is it like, 1967? Thanks for the movie, John. I'd never seen it in action.

Fascinating John.....great work as usual....what does a nylon pinon gear look like.....?

Enjoyed the powerful viedo of this classic robot.......way cool!

• Brian.. changed the title to Missile Man - Inside the rare robot

Archived