rotate o matic falls over, can anyone help

Bass33

Hi guys, Im new to this sight and i must admit its great to see so many people into these classic toys, ( im not alone after all) Just wondering if anyone can help me with a problem. I have an horikawa rotate o matic that works great except he falls over when in action. I was a little bit annoyed when i bought it cause the guy sold it as "working perfectly". When i quizzed him about it he told me i should of asked more questions, ( not that i would of thought of asking if it fell over). He did give me a partial refund but still expected me to give positive feed back. If anyone can give me any ideas on how i could fix him it would be greatly appreiciated, cheers Kevin

If you are using alkaline batteries such as Duracell it could be the weight of them spinning round that is causing it to fall over, centrifugal force and all that. I have had the same problem myself and used AA to D cell converters that are same size as D cells but much less weight spinning round. Assuming there is nothing mechanically broken such as a leg that is not attached properly to the body.

Thanks guys, i'll take a video and post it to see what you think. I must admit he seems a little unstable even when just standing there. thanks again

Well, i had some old batteries that seemed alot lighter than the energizers i was using and low and behold he stayed upright albiet a little shakey.Still seems to be not quite right though. Sorry about the quality of the video but you'll get the idea, cheers Kevin

Welcome Bass33 to Alphadrome.

Be careful to use only cheap dollar-store cardboard-type batteries in these old fellas, Duracells and Energizers can blow their lights out really quickly, (been there, done that) too powerful and way too heavy for these vintage toys.

Happy collecting! Post some pics under the Private Collection section, always nice to see new collections. B)

To reduce size of pics,(with a PC) I open the PAINT program and reduce the pic by certain percentages and save until it loads on the board nicely. With a little practice it gets easy.

Welcome Bass33 to Alphadrome.

Be careful to use only cheap dollar-store cardboard-type batteries in these old fellas, Duracells and Energizers can blow their lights out really quickly, (been there, done that) too powerful and way too heavy for these vintage toys.

Happy collecting! Post some pics under the Private Collection section, always nice to see new collections. B)

To reduce size of pics,(with a PC) I open the PAINT program and reduce the pic by certain percentages and save until it loads on the board nicely. With a little practice it gets easy.

Thanks for the kind welcome. I'll keep that in mind about the batteries and yes i'll definately upload some photos soon, regards Kevin

These tings are built cheap though...at least the new ones. I have three new ones...ONE works well, for now. I thought the other one was good too until it started to not come full circle when done shooting and starts walking in an three quarter position and the doors half open. The first one I got would start to turn and stop half way and shake. I have a fly eye I bought and that seems to be okay, but the other two are junk.

Hello, welcome to the board

Martijn joined me for a couple of beers this evening and we found a solution for the rotatomatic: put a mushroom in each hand for balance. It must be the red ones with the

white dots...

There is a post somewhere with robots that had the same problem, mostly german robots.

search for Mushroom on the board. Good luck

Marco and Martijn

post-718-0-86907800-1326410191.jpg

Good tip on the batteries, didn't realize the better batteries could be a problem. I recently changed 10 year old duracells out of a flashlight because I left it on!!

Thanks for the suggestions. this robot is an 1960s horikawa robot. I'll give the mushrooms ago. lol

They really work :)

My experience about these robots is that it has something todo with the legs.

I can remember that I had the same problem caused by a wheel that was "pressed" inside the foot.

the center pin was not straight anymore and this caused the robot to tend too much to one side and it fell.

I hope the info helps :)

Good luck and good to see new collectors

Cheers

Marco

Archived