Small GlassBot

Steve's Bots and Rays

This little GlassBot stands about 11 inches tall. Cool blue LEDs illuminate him from within, along with a couple pointing down to his mirrored base. He's powered by a translucent, corded battery box with proper label artwork. Thanks for looking. -Steve

post-1487-0-30279100-1326254303.jpg

post-1487-0-50353600-1326254388.jpg

post-1487-0-40913400-1326254529.jpg

Very Glassy. Couldn't help myself. Really nice job! Where did you ever find all of those glass pieces? Very inventive!

Very nice job!!! It sure would be interesting to see a photo progression of a build to see how you actually build your fantastic creations, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested. Thanks for sharing.

John, here are a couple photos in daylight and LEDs off.

Joe, the various glass shapes are just part of the collecting process (auctions, garage sales, hardware store). My mother-in-law just gave me a great glass transformer that came off of an old telephone pole. I'd like to get more of those. If I see something I try to get two.

Grandpa, I have shelves arranged by materials...glass, metals, plastics, etc, so a lot of time is spent reviewing those shelves, sketching, then test fitting objects. Not really exciting photo subject matter. Oh and of course, I have a groaning chair in my workshop. :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it. -Steve

post-1487-0-76346300-1326413023.jpg

post-1487-0-10116800-1326413181.jpg

Thanks Steve. Is part of the robot a decanter? The glass piece you mention from a telephone pole is really an insulator. You can search on ebay for glass insulators and find several hundred in various shapes, colors and prices. I have used those and vacuum tubes in several robot projects.

No decanter Joe. Although that's a great idea for a Bot...hmmmm - and practical!

Yes... insulator, that's the word, and they're heavy suckers.

- Steve

Steve, I don't know how you consistently come up with parts and ideas for the glass bot. This one is terrific as usual. The thought process for adding light is also very inventive. Great design!

Thanks guys.

Yes, some trimming of the glass for a better fit is required. Thank goodness for the Dremel.

-Steve

Archived