missing it's dome & a hybrid astronaut

(correct torso different head)

John utilized a piston pug robby for the driver

& cast molds of the spaceman to create 2 additional

astronauts with custom domes

The additional 2 spaceman are held on via magnets

The pistons retained their function in the robby

post-18-0-26385200-1322356022.jpg

Really nice conversion! The extra spacemen look great. I like the pug robby cut off at the waist to match the Robby space patrol.

For those that like to play around with casting things, here are some pictures of the 2 part mold I made using a silicon putty. The master part was the origional body, legs and arms that would have come with the toy, some one had placed a new tin head and shoulder part that they cut from some other toy on to the body. It did not look too bad, but too have a shoulder section on top of a shoulder section looked a little funny so the gum ball helmit idea was put in to place. The resin space men are hand painted with some decal artwork that I masde up on the computer. Ozzy could not decide if he wanted the resin spacemen or not so I put magnets in there bottoms so they could be place in or on the space jeep at any time. I also repaired the electrical and mechanical problems with the Mystery action drive and replaced the missing battery door with one from a Thunder robot and a custom latch. Also I had to make a new bump and go drive plate to fill a very large hole on the base. I cut down the pug robot body and the gear box so that the antenna actions and piston actions could be kept. I also added a switch on a drive shaft of the Pug robot gear box so that the light for the pistions and the lights in the jeep whindshields could alternatly flash.

post-7-0-52578800-1322434127.jpg

post-7-0-94827000-1322434154.jpg

post-7-0-47051900-1322434249.jpg

Awesome to see that you were able to put it to use. I thought the head was a decent substitute for the original. I think it was an airplane pilot originally. It was kicking around in my parts bin. Robby and the passengers look great! Nice work!

post-1597-0-44664900-1322520735.jpg

Awesome to see that you were able to put it to use. I thought the head was a decent substitute for the original. I think it was an airplane pilot originally. It was kicking around in my parts bin. Robby and the passengers look great! Nice work!

Yes it was the perfect donor & I agree with you on the head.

Glad that you had it lying around.

That is amazing to me. Wonderful job as always. I have always wanted to try casting but have never had the chance to do it. I need to give it a try.

JimK

• 7 months later...

WOW ! That looks great !

Pug Robby looks perfect on the patrol, and the astronauts turned out awesome !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi John,

I am really getting into these sleds now and just need a robby sled to complete the 3

can I just ask is the is the battery cover in this shot a replacement off a PD patrol or fire car or is it an original. I know they normally have parallel lines on them. ( I have been offered one with the x on the battery cover)

Just wondered as there are slight differences in the mystery action front wheel arrangement between the linemar and the nomura and funnily enough the the way the boxes are printed .

The linemar space patrol has a deep box with a small lid/small picture, where as the No3 nomura box has the toy in sideways, shallow box and big lid and picture.post-1849-0-13608000-1400766753_thumb.jp

Thanks for your help

regards

Chilli

I don't know about the boxes but the battery cover is not original. All variations of the sled use the cover with the lines which I think is unique to this toy.

Archived