Print your own 3D robot?

Andyman

Hey, Tinplate, good design. I really like that one.

Thanks...you're no slouch yourself, I like the black one with the "power belt" and the gun array on the left hand, very cool! :blink:

You know, if they'd lower the prices a bit, and offer larger sizes, perhaps 8-10 inch, they would probably get more hits. :mellow:

Thanks. Yeah, you're probably right. I wonder what their cost is to make each one relative to their sale price. I think they said it takes an hour to do each inch (I might be wrong on that). That's a long time for each robot. Maybe they can improve on the process and bring prices down. It's a great idea as it is, though and lot's of fun .

Thanks for the heads up, Andyman, this site is the shizzle! I only wish they had some way to save a robot without paying to get it manufactured...as is, they'll save only one design for a week or two as your "work in progress", and to make another one you have to delete the one you have glare.gif.

Luckily, you can save screenshots biggrin.gif. Here's an animated GIF of my design, Retro Rob 1, that I made in Photoshop using screen captures from the site.

post-1473-0-58040500-1323722814.gif

WARNING!!! This site can be addictive!!!blink.gif

He's here!! Tinplate6 arrived in the mail and I couldn't wait to open the box. :o

The robot figurine arrived well packed in a sturdy box, wrapped in multi-layered corrugated paper packing. The first thing you notice is the weight; this 6 inch figure weighs in at a whopping 8 ounces! :blink: Since it is sculpted out of gypsum powder it has the density of a stone paperweight.

post-656-0-73429000-1324096194.jpg

The next thing I noticed was the texture; it is very grainy, like it was sandblasted, then coated with a semi-gloss plastic sealer. The details are amazingly clean for such a small piece. There is absolutely no flash or irregular areas.

post-656-0-73895700-1324096209.jpg

The primary colors are bright, however, the 2D graphic stamps, as they are called, are not as sharp, as they get lost a bit in the glaze.

post-656-0-38343900-1324096218.jpg

When examined closely, you can see the vertical grooves where the piece was scanned into existence :huh: , it's an amazing process. Overall, this is a great little piece, and my only complaint is the cost. :closedeyes: In my opinion, anything smaller just would not have done the design justice, and much of the sculptural details would probably have been lost.

post-656-0-29272000-1324096226.jpg

Finally, each piece has it's own unique registration number on the bottom of the feet, along with the Robot Nation logo.

post-656-0-56513000-1324096235.jpg

I wish I could create a different one, but the price for a another 6 incher, is too rich for my blood. :rolleyes:

Wow, really nice Tin plate! Nice design...good job! I have received some of the one's I designed. I went for the 5" models. I think the details held up fairly well considering their size. This 3D printing is pretty cool. I saw units on the web for as little as $2500. ("desk top model") There were a few in the $5-6,000. range that looked like they might be very nice. If you're the creative type, you start a neat little side business with one of these!

I will post pix of mine very soon, also!

Wow, really nice Tin plate! Nice design...good job! I have received some of the one's I designed. I went for the 5" models. I think the details held up fairly well considering their size. This 3D printing is pretty cool. I saw units on the web for as little as $2500. ("desk top model") There were a few in the $5-6,000. range that looked like they might be very nice. If you're the creative type, you start a neat little side business with one of these!

I will post pix of mine very soon, also!

They are using Z corporations model 650 5 color head printer which is listed at over $100K for the basic unit. And my guess is they have at least that much in software. I really can't see how they are making ANY money on making robots. Even this upper end printer only prints at 1" per hour, so a 6" inch takes at least 6 hours to print. So I suggest if you want one made to do so now, I doubt if they will be in business very long.

Grandpa, honestly, I doubt that this is all they do. :mellow: My guess is that this is just a part-time job for the owners of this system, they probably use the printer full-time for more corporate applications. ^_^

Well here's a few low res pix (didn't realize my camera was on 640 X 480) of 5" models and 1, 3" model. I think the detail is not to bad despite their size. The blur or seeming lack of definition on the red parts of the "power belt" (see detail pic) are due to the fact I put a glowing sticker on the end of each and not because the printing process is low resolution. I've got 2 more coming; that's probably it for me. It was fun while doing it but like Tinpalte said, somewhat expensive. As Tinplate pointed out,tghe stickers don't show up too well, especially on the darker surfaces. The one with the flaming hand has bullet holes in the inactive arm and a burnt flamed-out rim on the "hand". but you can barely see them. But a minor complaint..all in all it's pretty cool.

post-1534-0-82267800-1324235338.jpg

post-1534-0-26829500-1324235358.jpg

post-1534-0-18470400-1324235386.jpg

post-1534-0-86420700-1324235400.jpg

post-1534-0-14290700-1324235423.jpg

post-1534-0-90621300-1324235443.jpg

Tin Head, your "battle bots" look ready for action! :o I'm impressed, and the details seemed to hold up pretty well, despite the smaller size. :blink: I really think these are great little figurines, and with practice and some thought, anyone can produce custom robots almost as nice as collectibles you could buy elsewhere...the only difference, is that each one is uniquely yours! :)

Archived