Print your own 3D robot?

Andyman

Oh yeah...I'm definitely taking advantage of this site! :o This is a overgrown child's dream, to design, and own your own unique robot...absolute nirvana!! :wub:

Wow! This is amazing. I can't wait to make one. I wonder if this is the real future of toys- no more mass production, but instead fully customizable processes overseen by each consumer.

So what is a good CHEAP software that lets you render in 3-D like this. Growing up here in Buffalo, the local kids show that ran cartoons was Rocketship 7. The cohost was Promo the Robot...the robot I use as my pic for my name. I want to build one, but I am not experienced at sculpting. I do have an old Mego Tin Man I was planning on making a "suit" for....but boy, if I could render him in 3-D like these robots, I can take it to someone, or send the file to someone who has one of these printers and have it printed out. It would save a lot of work I have no idea how to do...and it would be designed in a way that I DO know how to do...DRAW. I hear CAD does this...but there has to be low end software that does a decent job for something like this. I wouldn't mind doin both versions...but the one I really want is the square one with the cone on his head.

post-125-0-56860700-1321647249.jpg

Well I found one problem with this site - they don't ship to Australia. I've sent them an email asking if they planned to include sending to Australia.

So in the meantime this one will have to wait.

post-1110-0-88460200-1321710782.png

You know something, this takes a lot more thought than you'd think! :huh: However, I managed to hammer out my own robot, which is being mastered for me as I type this. So, without further ado, here he is...

Tinplate-6 (original name hunh?) ;)

post-656-0-98829800-1322267140.jpg

post-656-0-06436800-1322611961.png

Once he arrives, I'll get a photo of the real deal. :)

Here's some more detailed information from the site... ;)

"How does a robot go from my imagination to held-in-my-hand reality?

You design your robot online, combining body parts, attachments, colors and stamps in over 9 billion combinations; then we feed your unique design into a 3D printer.

The printer projects the digital model of the 3D object into a compact base of gypsum powder (similar to plaster of Paris). Next, just as an inkjet moves over paper to print a document, it deposits a binder with 24-bit color layer-by-layer into the plaster-like base, literally building your robot millimeter by millimeter from the powder.

As it's built, the loose powder around it supports its structure so there is no wasteful scaffolding to remove, no toxic materials or run-off, and the unused loose powder is recycled right back into the machine.

An expert artist gently pulls your robot from the powder, as if on an archaeological dig, and carefully (they're very fragile in this state) blows off the loose powder and begins a sealing process that strengthens the collectible and gives it its special surface feel. Your robot is then set to cure and shipped directly to your door!

What are the robots made from?

The high performance composite resin that forms the robots is similar to plaster of Paris. The binder that solidifies them in the powder is integrated with color. The robots are then cured to harden them and protect them from the harmful UVs of the sun. Robots need sunscreen too!

How long does each robot take to make?

The robot is printed at a rate of about one inch per hour, but the full process of curing takes about 48 hours, so generally your robot goes from order to ship in 5 days.

What sizes do the robots come in?

2 – 6 inches are the standard offerings in our order panel, but drop us a note if you'd like to order a specific size. It's completely flexible and we're happy to quote one for you!

How many collectible robots can be ordered at once?

As many as you'd like! Build your nation!

post-656-0-74836800-1322611738.jpg

Where do you ship?

We ship it to your door anywhere in the US, Canada and European Union.

How much do they cost?

The prices are based on the size of the figure. The 2" robot is $17.99, the 3" robot is $24.99, the 4" robot is $52.99, and up for the larger robots.

Why does the price increase so much for the larger robots?

As the robots get bigger, their volume increases in a cubic way. That means that doubling the size isn't twice the volume, but rather eight times the original volume.

Are these action figures or collectibles?

Your robot is NOT A TOY. The materials are earth-friendly and similar to ceramic in feel, but not suited for children and not rough-and-tumble ready. Treat your robot with respect – like a ceramic collectible.

How sturdy are these robot collectibles?

Like a ceramic object, they must be treated with care. Don't drop them, smack them around, soak them, light them on fire or put them in a microwave. (Also don't feed them after midnight). If they do (horrors!) break, we've found that a touch of Krazy Glue™ does wonders. Remember, they're created out of plaster powder bound together with a binder, so an epoxy repair is like the robot equivalent of a skin graft or blood transfusion!

Are the robots safe for small children?

NO! They don't shoot lasers out of their eyes (yet), but they are not toys. The materials used to create them are non-toxic, but they are breakable and could present a choking hazard. Please keep your awesome creation out of the hands of brutes and little ones. (Also not good for dogs, cats or other household pets.)

Why are the robots non-articulated?

Articulated parts would require additional materials and labor to allow the ceramic-like robots to move smoothly. Instead, we let you pose the robot online (arms, legs and head can be posed) and the figure of the robot holds that pose when it's made real. Also, we were concerned that robots with articulated parts could rise up and take over the world even faster. Let's give ourselves some breathing room...

How customizable are the robots?

You create your robot by combining body parts, attachments and stamps. There are over 9 billion combinations of those individual parts and on top of that you have complete control of placement and color – this makes your robot just about infinitely customizable. What you make can be utterly and only yours. You can also share your design with the rest of the Robot Nation and see what others create!

If I give you my own custom stamps as images, can they be used for my robot?

No, we don't support importing of images right now. It's trivial technically, but for legal and copyright reasons, we're not going there.

Hey, I've got my own 3D model I'd like to print – can you do that for me?

Good for you! My Robot Nation is for the rest of us who aren't expert 3D modelers with Max, Maya or CAD skills – but you can go straight to the best 3D printers in the industry, Offload Studios, and they'll give you a quote on great high-quality printing for your model. Offload has extreme full-color 3D printing-fu, and My Robot Nation creations are exclusively printed by their expert staff at the Offload robot factory. Drop them a line and send your model on for a quote!"

Finally, here are a few shots of other robots created on the site... :)

post-656-0-41301300-1322611722.jpg

post-656-0-03867500-1322611746.jpg

You know something, this takes a lot more thought than you'd think! :huh: However, I managed to hammer out my own robot, which is being mastered for me as I type this. So, without further ado, here he is...

Tinplate-6 (original name hunh?) ;)

post-656-0-98829800-1322267140.jpg

Long time not seen ...

As soon as I found out about the site, I hurried over to the 'drome to let you guys know – but of course you already know! :)

I was thinking of 3D-printing since I saw that Audi-robot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcNycRtBJHE), and now there's for real!

Tinplate – you're totally right about the thoughts it takes to layout the ideal robot.

And I really love your's – great looking robot, I don't think I would have come up with this one. Congrats! :D

Well I found one problem with this site - they don't ship to Australia. I've sent them an email asking if they planned to include sending to Australia.

So in the meantime this one will have to wait.

Good news: The FAQ-page now reads on shipping:

"NEW: We've expanded our shipping to include Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, South Korea, China, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Mexico, Costa Rica, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Russia! Robots are global!"

http://www.myrobotnation.com/faq

Thanks for pointing out this site. It's a lot of fun. I've designed 4 of them but will have to wait for them to be made. Here's my design pix (try it... it's addictive).

post-1534-0-42937900-1322982044.jpg

post-1534-0-17169000-1322982059.jpg

post-1534-0-55209400-1322982079.jpg

post-1534-0-06605100-1322982095.jpg

Archived