Riddle of the Ray Robot

Blechroboter

To my knowledge the Ray Robot was made by Yone with item No.2280. Now I got a Ray Robot with his original box.

But the box says item No.3213 and no Yone trademark. Does it mean my robot is a copy? Box is also a copy?

post-544-0-20844500-1319965354.jpg

post-544-0-47442900-1319965368.jpg

post-544-0-64613700-1319965400.jpg

post-544-0-42782000-1319965432.jpg

Well | would say that the box has got some good age to it with the distinctive cracking almost shattering damage to the perspex.

Perhaps Blech it's a bit like the Robot Captain / Captain the Robot scenario from Yone and MTU ?,,, but even that case carried the MTU logo.

Over the years though I've seen many Yone non space toys appear with no identification.

LOL Well Blech,,,, thats as clear as fog then.

Blech, on the back of yours, just above the feet, it should be marked MADE IN CHINA. At least, that's the way mine is.

Here's a recent TIMELINE photo from a 1985 Reeves International catalog:

That's probably the Yone version pictured.

All these Ray Robots really look great when played with. The chrome reflector and red lens make the sparking look ten times better!

Blech, on the back of yours, just above the feet, it should be marked MADE IN CHINA. At least, that's the way mine is.

No marks at all, Joe. Neither Japan nor China. What makes me wonder is the box, cause it is an complete copy of the Yone one. That´s unusual.

To sad the flint does not sparkle. All is complete and working, but my guess is the flint is not soft enough to produce sparks.

No marks at all, Joe. Neither Japan nor China. What makes me wonder is the box, cause it is an complete copy of the Yone one. That´s unusual.

To sad the flint does not sparkle. All is complete and working, but my guess is the flint is not soft enough to produce sparks.

Maybe anybody with technical skill made a copy? I have heard it is possible.

Maybe anybody with technical skill made a copy? I have heard it is possible.

It is easier to copy a robot than to create a new one. But it´s not the proper way ( Das ist nicht die "feine Art", auf gut deutsch :D ).

It seems that we do have three robots here. A japanese version by Yone, a Made in China version and the not marked version of mine.

That´s the Riddle of the Ray Robot! ;)

I checked the Hut and I have the Gray made in China "with the N backwards" cyclops and the blue Ray robot made in Japan. I made a you tube video of them both working at the same time.

post-7-0-76418800-1320018510.jpg

post-7-0-39282600-1320018536.jpg

Thanks for posting John. That was useful. Took a shot of the backside of my Ray Robot.

He has some small dents and bumps instead of a "Made in ...". Perhaps the form that was used to produce that robot was modified at this spot.

post-544-0-05803900-1320094400.jpg

Also I noticed that my robot has two small tongues or flaps on the outside of each foot.

Perhaps it is the key point to differ original from copy - With flaps is chinese, without is japanese.

post-544-0-78736800-1320094432.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Now I got the grey Cyclops Robot. Like Brian I have also the date of 1995.

This one works perfect with the flint and I have to say it looks great while working.

post-544-0-55412100-1321721143.jpg

I have one of the blue ones in the identical box shown above only it says "Hong Kong" in the lower right corner (same style #) with a chrome winder and no little nubs on the outside of the feet. Also says "Hong Kong" on the back of the robot.

• 2 years later...

Archived