Collection...

dratomic

Someone asked if they could see the current state of my collection; I also realized that I never had a chance to show off those Ikea display cases I picked up. And since any excuse to post a pic is a good excuse... :)

The Ikea cases flank some shelves I made out of acrylic -- the cases really worked out well. Lots of space in a small foot print. Lots of room for expansion. They're also real solid, more so than lots of Ikea products. All in all, a sound purchase for $100 each.

The stands for the ray guns are also made from acrylic, while the pieces attached to the walls are hung with coat hanger wire. This image is a month or so old and doesn't feature the Pyrotomic Disintegrator pistol or the Botstock robot (which currently lives on the bottom shelf next to the repro Mr. Atomic).

collection.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very impressive collection there dratomic! I like those Ikea shelf units. I may have to look into those!

As I've said before, I don't have much in the way of vintage. But I do have this phaser cabinet I made from an old picture frame my wife was throwing out.

Hmmmm....I can't seem to post pictures from my album here.

Glad you like 'em, guys. My thanks to the Swedes. 🙂

I'd love to see your cabinet, Andy. Displaying ray guns is a pain in the butt sometimes -- I know people who make stands out of wire, I know people who keep them in large shadow boxes, I've got my acrylic stands and wall mounts... It's rarely as easy as simply sticking them on a shelf like we do with robots. So any new ideas are always appreciated.

:) Beautiful collection, dratomic! From what I can see, each piece is on my list of the most significant robots! Well done.

And the rayguns look fabulous on the wall. Gun collectors sometimes place their long guns in vertical racks, like a scene from an old 1800's sheriff's wall mounted gun rack. but that would not complement a collection of space age toy rifles at all. Mounted in profile as you have done them is way cool.

Ever thought of a background fabric, texture, or colored panel behind the guns? I have no suggestions, and that might look stupid anyway, just a thought. -Larry 7

You know, Larry, I have considered some sort of backdrop... I only hesitate because the guns have so much color and shape and texture; I feel like it's better to go with a neutral background, I think. I'm not sure though... It's certainly something to consider if I ever find anything that really works.

I was fortunate enough to be able to personally see Dratomic's display. It really looks good!!! Nice pieces arranged very well giving a very pleasing overall look. Nice work!!!!!!

When I was back east for Botstock I was able to see this display firsthand also, and let me tell you, this picture doesn't do it justice. You can't tell from this picture, but the rayguns mounted on individual stands are all set at different angles in relation to the back wall, this gives the whole display a feeling of brand new wares offered for sale in a very nice shop somewhere. The feeling I got as soon as I walked in the door was that of walking into the kind of place we all dream about - some sort of "Twilight Zone lost in time" toy shop.

Hey Dratomic, how about a shot of the Renwal Planet jet raygun with the Renwal Space Scout helmet? That's a sweet pair. ;)

dr.atomic I like the "white" look...i don't know... maybe if you put a background it will steal the attention from the toys (just a thought).

The all-sides transparent Ikea cabinets are fabulous for displaying cause they let you see the robots from all angles.

My collection is also in ikea-provided shelves/cabinet but it's made of wood (or whatever they actually use) so you can't see the sides...the way you have it is great.

Congratulations. The pieces you have are wonderful.

I love your collection and those ikea display cases showcase your pieces wonderfully. I aways enjoy seeing your robots on this board.

Fineas -- here's a pic. The helmet is the very rare Renwal Solar Scout helmet, and the ray gun is a Renwal Planet Jet. They weren't sold as a set, per se, but the company clearly intended kids to pick up both.

renwals.jpg

you know, dr. atomic could quit today, and he would always have a delightful collection. here is a guy who has done plenty in a short time. this collection touches lots of bases, too, e.g. skirts, plastic, icon, variations on same, wind-up, b/o, remote, early, and personal digression.

speaking of digressing, and perhaps this comment is better suited for the state of the hobby page, but i have noticed that the tone of the board is pretty pleasant these days. also, incoming alphadromers are doing a remarkable job of keeping things fresh. well, i guess this means something will be coming along to stir things up before long.

hey, i was lurking with the street-wise loiterers at 1968 for a bit today. do i hear something in the wind about a repro diamond planet?

on another topic, how come we never hear from any old japanese guys who were actually involved in making these things 50 years ago?

My thanks to the Swedes.

You're welcome....:P My parents have three of those cases, and use them to display parts of their collections (my mother collects pottery and my father collects memorabilia featuring the swedish king Oscar II (1829-1907)).

I am so happy you posted this photo! I never knew of Renwal until now!! My brain is born anew in Renwal Genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really, Jeff? Welcome to the Renwal Fan Club! 🙂

As far as I know, Renwal -- a Canadian company -- only produced five space toys: Four guns (with different color variations) and the helmet (I'm guessing there were color variations, but don't know for certain).

The guns included the Planet Jet (the one I have), in three colors (yellow, red, and blue, as well as a British version in green); The Roto Flasher (see Blast Off, p. 196), the Space Jet (Blast Off, p.198); and a rifle whose name escapes me (see Mark Bergin's site, www.bergintoys.com, under Ray Guns). In my opinion, the Planet Jet is the nicest; it's certainly the most sculptural. I love it.

The yellow version is the most common, but still pulls a pretty penny on ebay. The other two colors, well... they're not cheap. I've never seen the other guns online, so who knows what they'd go for.

The helmet's mighty rare, I'm not really sure what it's worth. A lot, though, to the right buyer.

Archived