Things you can do to a Schylling Spaceman

klotzm1

Started this over 4 years ago so I claim status as a world-class procrastinator. The objective was to make something similar to the Porthole robot but with custom features. I started by pounding out the front face - from factory there is an oval embossing around the faceplate & three tab holes. When the front was smooth and round (or nearly so) I soldered in the tab holes & sanded smooth. Used a dremel tool to make the porthole and lamp hole...then it sat in a box for 4 years. Found it a coulple of weeks ago & decided to finish it...so here it is.

Has all the original actions, now left arm raises with flashing tricorder, right arm swings with sample hammer and of course the helmet light is lit. There is an additional light inside to illuminate the face. When choosing the face I was influenced by cwanxton and used the face of Ben Stiller from the movie ZOOLANDER. I had trouble getting a clean line from red to white for the helmet so I hand-painted a blue stripe as a sort of collar. After I was done, I hit on the idea of using a wide rubber band to mask the head (there are many wrinkles in the neck from stamping - impossible to tape cleanly) But that was after it had the blue already painted..when you do this there is alot of improvisation as you go...that's the fun of it. I have used many Schylling Spacemen as the basis for a custom robot (I bought several cases of them years ago) and recommend them a project.

Now there will be some that say "that's not a robot...it's an astronaut" Nope you're wrong!! The rule for determining whether or not it's a robot is: It is what the box says it is. Since there is no box and I am the maker - I say it's a robot...so it's a robot.

post-85-0-80435500-1316418650.jpg

post-85-0-75758600-1316418664.jpg

post-85-0-04642700-1316418681.jpg

post-85-0-05852400-1316418701.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived