Eiffel Tower Space Toys

Brian..

A real odd ball that turned up at auction a while ago. Is it kosher or a mix-and-match? Looks European. Have I seen that satellite somewhere else?And it's not just some old pylon! You can see the Arc de Triomphe in the litho.

And blow me down, as soon I start looking I find another Eiffel Tower space toy sitting on my hard drive. Here's the Roto-Bolide Interplanetaire from France, 1950s by the look of it. You can take a world tour in your flying saucer - which seems to be a complete lack of imagination. Good box art, though.

A real odd ball that turned up at auction a while ago. Is it kosher or a mix-and-match? Looks European. Have I seen that satellite somewhere else?And it's not just some old pylon! You can see the Arc de Triomphe in the litho.

Brian....I think it is real......one sold for 225 with another minor space toy back in september ...dont know the year.....regards Mark/nasa

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7914850

Brian, that first toy you have shown is real, I have had an almost similar toy but sold it some years ago. That satellite on top is really part of the toy.

The toy I had was made in Japan, probably late 50s or early 60s.

It is strange, maybe you are right because of the litho on the side, but I always thought it is not the Eiffeltower, but the Tokyo tower which was built in 1959. But maybe it was a different toy.

I think as far as I remember there were two planes with plastic propeller surrounding that tower. These are missing here.

It has a simple spring lever action and makes some rining noise. The people inside the tower are also moving along with the planes.

Maybe there are two versions, one of the Tokyo tower, one of the Eiffel tower.

A nice and not easy to find toy. I have not seen the box yet.

The Tokyo tower has been the biggest and most famous tower in Japan, but now has been replaced in its popularity by the new Sky Tree Tower, which will be finally done and opened in 2012.

Believe it or not, I am in Japan at present just went there on the weekend and have seen both towers today, what a coincidence !

That second toy is amazing, I have never seen it before. That is definitively the Eiffel Tower in France !

Here are some pictures of the old Tokyo Tower and the new Sky Tree tower, which is over 600 meter high.

post-25-0-64529500-1315158943.jpg

post-25-0-98396200-1315158990.jpg

I just found the picture on the net of exactly the same toy I had, here you can see complete toy with the planes.

Is it definitively not the same toy, it has differnt colors and litho, but the mold could be the same.

Now the question is, were the planes also attached to that Eiffeltower toy ?

post-25-0-22391200-1315160302.jpg

That's an excellent result, Gernot. Two versions of the toy, one for Japan and one for Europe. That's definitely Paris in the litho of the first toy. I didn't realise Japan had it's own version of the tower.

• 3 years later...

Thanks to Joe Morabito at Mainstreet Toys for this picture of a box. So it's called the T.V. Tower and it's an FJW special - the late, great Woolworths.

Archived