Worst Buy Ever Contest ! ! !

Keith Palmer

Who doesn't remember his very best buy? Who isn't quick to share the stories of the well-bought pieces?

But... how about sharing your WORST BUY EVER? Fess up, boys! We've all done it! Whether by brain fade, seller chicanery, mix-up, ebay bidding war, or whatever.... I think I speak for all of us regulars and lurkers when I say GIVE IT UP! Give us the story of that sorry, regrettable purchase! Maybe you had been using the Bunte book as a price guide ... perhaps you got Machine Man confused with Mr. Machine .... maybe you were new and the dealer simply told you the piece was an easy tripler in Chicago or New York. Maybe the guy on the phone described a Thunder Robot and what appeared on your doorstep was Mr. Potato Head. We've all had 'em in some form or another!!! Even the experienced buyers have slipped a time or two!

Yes, sir! It is time to get it off your chest! Two rules: 1) be honest with yourself and with us readers AND.... 2) NOBODY MAKES FUN

LET'S GO !!! !!! !!!

:P

I guess my worst deal was for "Master Tobor"... Sort of cool looking plastic B/O bump-n-go with lots of noise... And I got it cheap at $6.50 on eBay. Or so I thought.

Two days after the auction, the seller finally answered my repeated emails, only to inform me that USPS shipping was going to cost $14 (within the United States)... I was flabbergasted, because Master Tobor is NOT a big or heavy item... So I wrote a stern and POLITE email to the seller about disclosing all costs in advance, and I SENT the $20.50... A day or so later, I saw that my Ebay name had a brand new NEGATIVE FEEDBACK from the hare-brained seller, saying she "didn't like my attitude"!!! I wrote BACK to her and asked her WTF? I said, "You've got my money, I haven't even received the robot, and you've already left me negative feedback!" She immediately sics her HUSBAND on me, and the guy starts sending me threatening emails for "harassing" his wife; this guy was so deranged that I finally had to report him! My head was spinning! A few days later, the robot arrived with $5.50 surface postage, and I went on the warpath... First, I demanded an $8.50 refund on shipping (which they refused), then I left this HOWLING negative feedback for her, flatly naming her and her husband the nutzoids that they were. They responded with what can only be called a torrent of hate email, angry snail-mail, threats of litigation, even a few heated phone calls....... And this lasted a whole month. All because I simply questioned the ridiculous shipping charge on a $6.50 piece-of-junk robot.

EPILOGUE: The seller suddenly vanished from eBay ("no longer a registered user")... All email and phone attacks abruptly ended. I took the opportunity to change screen names and eBay user ID, and I laid low for a while. But sometimes, late at night, when the dim light falls just right on Master Tobor, I can still hear her shrill, maniacal voice screeching, "I don't like your attitude!!"..... Brrr, the thought of it gives me chills!

Reads more like a Stephen King story, don't it?

The following story doesn't exactly qualify as the worst buy ever but definitelly as the strangest to me.

Approximatelly 2 years ago, I bought via ebay a Mego Man. At that time, my dear mailman had the bad habit, when I wasnt home to collect the post, to throw the packages over the fence of my front yard instead of leaving a note in the mailbox. Unfortunatelly for me, that is what happened with the poor Megoman. I was abroad at that time and when I came back home, I fond a wet by the rain paper box with a hole in it and no Mego Man!

I was p....d off on my mail man, dropped a tear on the lost Mego Man but unfortunatelly there was little I could do about it.

A couple of weeks later, I was cleaning the main hall entrance. In the entrance, I have an old trunk I use to put robot boxes in it. While cleaning, I had to move the trunk from against the wall and found behind it, you ve gussed, The Mego Man!!

How did he arrive there is still a mystery to me but he surely now has a very special place in my collection!

• 2 weeks later...

short and to the point, but $9000 would send most people right out of collecting. robot polishing his rocket wins for this simply heartbreaking story. the good news is all participants win a taschen toy robot book or small masudaya wind-up robot, just for having the guts to confess. please email KeithSays@aol.com to redeem!

Archived