Paper Robot Link ...from Long Ago

nasa

Does anyone have the link to the paper robot thread that featured the red and silver robot on the right in this pic....???

of course pic is from John;s Robot Hut....I believe the guy made about 5 or 6 different ones then quit making them and went into another business....

thanks for your help....regards Mark/nasa

post-38-0-13141800-1311214021.jpeg

The retro rocket robot you are asking about was one of 4 different robots that Mark Crowe designed , built and sold back in 1999. His robot paper craft files have never been avalible for down load, you had to buy the bots from his web site "it no longer exsists". Mark crowe is very well known in the gaming world. Read about him here.

http://www.wiw.org/~jess/markcrowe.html

years ago there were posts on Alphadrome on all his robots with pictures but I can not find them so feel that they did not survive. I was only able to get the one I have off ebay years ago. Back when Mark had just stoped building his paper glued over wood robots I had contacted him to see if I could take over the building of the bots for him, it never happened. I even asked him about possibly haveing the robots actualy built in china, I seem to recall that he was thinking about that as well but that has never happened. I am sure that some of the guys here on the drome have pictures of the other robots he designed, Xriss you must have the robots right?

Try this search Paper Robot

That neat looking paper robot was called Magneto and was featured the old Robot Talk Would you believe that was back in 1997. The image link doesn't work. It's just possible I have it on an old backup disk

I haven't knowingly deleted any paper robot files because they are usually just links to other sites. Regrettably I've found that the files no longer exist on the original sites.

John, Brain, many thanks for the replies.....I thought I was going crazy because I couldnt find them. 'o) I remember seeing them on robot talk and also ebay....I had one eye open when they appeared on ebay so thus missed out on what I thought were some very clever creations. John glad you got one. They are very cool paper bots with lots of character. Thanks for trying. TGIG Cheers nasa

NASA, I became intrigued with Mark Crowe's work after reading about him on Alphadrome, probably in 1999. He was starting a line of paper and wood robots called "Artbots". Brian posted a picture of Mark's "Magneto" prototype robot as well an astronaut explorer-type robot, the official name of which I cannot remember. I ended up purchasing his Retro Robot (#4 out of 10) and his Clanky robot (#1 out of 20). I learned that he had created a Mr. Magneto robot (which I believe he sold to Ray Rohr) and asked if he would make another, which he did, so I now have #2 of 2 Mr. Magneto's.

Mark made one model of the astronaut explorer-type robot (clear plastic helmet and oxygen tubes were among the features) and I believe he sold it to Ray Rohr. I asked Mark to make a second astronaut robot for me, but he said the work was so intricate that he would rather not. So, that's a one-of-a-kind model that would be considered the Holy Grail of Mark Crowe robots.

The arms of Retro Robot and Mr. Magneto are permanently fixed. The arms of Clanky have springs at the joints with the shoulder and are movable.

I regret not printing out the pages of Mark's Artbot web site, which included pictures of his 20 Clanky's all lined up on the "assembly line" at his home in the Pacific Northwest. The web site is long gone. As you'll probably discover when you google "Mark Crowe," he was co-creator of the popular Space Quest video game series.

Mark, are you out there somewhere? Let us know what you're doing!

P.S. This discussion wouldn't be taking place if it weren't for Brian Hayes' creating a web site that opened our eyes to the many facets of robot collecting. Thanks, Brian.

I believe I've shared this picture before, but thought you might like to see them.

post-40-0-30198600-1311593473.jpg

JIm....great post! I figured if someone knew about paper robots you would be the man. Do you have 2 of his robots or 3? I see 2 pictured....I also remember seeing the post on Alphadrome.....It wasnt until I saw John;s at Botstock *8 that revived my interest in what I think were some wonderful creations.....Too bad he didnt let John take over for him becasue I am sure everyone would have wanted some of the robots. They were very well made. colorful and different..... Does anyone know what happend to Ray Rohr's astronaut the one you described? Steve any clues?

Jim glad you picked up some of Mark's creations.....it was just really fun seeing something different and well made.

Anyone else on Robot Talk have any of Crowe's robots or spaceman....

thanks Jim......cheeds Mark/nasa

JIm....great post! I figured if someone knew about paper robots you would be the man. Do you have 2 of his robots or 3? I see 2 pictured....I also remember seeing the post on Alphadrome.....It wasnt until I saw John;s at Botstock *8 that revived my interest in what I think were some wonderful creations.....Too bad he didnt let John take over for him becasue I am sure everyone would have wanted some of the robots. They were very well made. colorful and different..... Does anyone know what happend to Ray Rohr's astronaut the one you described? Steve any clues?

Jim glad you picked up some of Mark's creations.....it was just really fun seeing something different and well made.

Anyone else on Robot Talk have any of Crowe's robots or spaceman....

thanks Jim......cheeds Mark/nasa

It would be great if Mark would resurface on Alphadrome! I reduced the size of the picture in my post so now you can see all three. Sorry about the massive file.

Archived