3 Flying Robots

robothut

Max Power found these RC flying Batman toys on sale cheep so brought a few over to the shop. There bodys are made of styrafoam, so the first conversion I did was just a new foam head , foam legs and feet and some modifications to the origional arms. Then a new paint job. The Black bot flies very well. Origional Chuck wanted to know if I could put the guts in one of the mini robert the robots , but there just was not enough room and I was afraid of the weight problem of hard plastic compared to foam. I decided to test the hard plastic idea and took a Robot egg thingy that I had that came with a silly putty type stuff in it. I gutted it and drilled it full of holes to make it as light as possible but it was still to heavy to take off. So I dumped the lower robot plastic body and just made a foam base for it. It can now fly, but only withn a full charge to the battery pack and only for a short period of time, the egg head robot is still abit too heavy. The last robot I made "blue boy" was based on the wind up robot pencil sharpeners that came out a few years ago. Again I gutted it cut off the lower body made new arms from foam. Again it can take off and fly but only with a full charge and only for a short time. Here is a video of all 3 robots taking off and flying.

When I shot the videos I was operating the camera with one hand and the robots with the other so I waas not able to control all the functions of the flying robots like the rear blades for the turning control, they work I just was not able to do it all with one hand runing the camera.Still p;ictures of the robots.

post-7-0-22877300-1310528537.jpg

post-7-0-76473800-1310528675.jpg

post-7-0-38203600-1310528711.jpg

post-7-0-49260600-1310528755.jpg

post-7-0-85935600-1310528869.jpg

Holy Flybots Batman-those are fantastic!

I know how tough it is to fly those with both hands on the controller, so doing that well with one hand while filming with the other deserves a standing ovation.

Is there anything you can't do?!

Really cool John! The Pencil sharpener body looks great flying. Do you know what is the difference in weight among the three flying robots?

The 3rd litte guy is G R E A T !

Reminds me of the jet propelled guy that flies across a football field....

Neat to see......

I could use one of these guys at my poker games and when I win a hand off he would go.... ;o)

Fun robot toys....congrats John and way to go Chuck for thinking of this....Mark

post-38-0-06710900-1310560089.jpg

Very cool, John. I was almost expecting a high speed crash on the ceiling! You're a lot better handling them than I was with the copter at Mark's house.

Congratulations on all of the fine work you did for Botstock. I'm sorry I missed it.

You did fine Phil,,,choppers are tough. Ricardo put a chopper in the deep end of the pool. He lost control during a night flying mission with strobes. Ricardo is a top RC pilot. When it dropped out of the sky it looked like a blue meteor. Brendon and I fell to the ground laughing. Ricardo says, where is the chopper? It's in the deep end of the pool ! No it's not !!! Yes it is !! We walk down to the pool and there is the strobe 9 ft down still flashing. I had to crawl back to the house laughing. John, these a a great adaptation ! Would love to see an Iron Man ! Of course Iron Man is a robot. If Hector is, Iron man is ! Anyhow,nice job John !

Archived