Spanish Espace Sideral-E Rifle

Tinplate6

I am discovering that the fine art of ray gun, and rifle design, wasn't lost on the Spanish. Many of their contemporary (1970's - today) guns had graceful, and imaginative styling.

post-656-0-89170700-1306027785.jpg

The Espace Sideral-E rifle, measures an astounding 28.5 inches long, :blink: and is made of hard silver/gray plastic. In an era of new-fangled microchip special effects and battery operation, the manufacturer; Juypal, opted for a friction drive sparkling mechanism. The gun is billed as a "Las Transformables", meaning that it can break down and be reconfigured as a smaller weapon, but why bother, the style and design has quite a presence, as is. :wub:

post-656-0-87251600-1306027792.jpg

The gun's sweeping angles, and moderate use of stickers for color, gives it a futuristic, and intimidating look. The gun is in excellent condition, with some minor curling to the stickers.

post-656-0-20884200-1306027799.jpg

Quite possibly the right side of the gun could be missing the "2002" sticker, if there was on on that side. :unsure: The gun also has rings for a lanyard, or shoulder strap, but did not come with one.

post-656-0-92871700-1306027804.jpg

The box is open-face, and festooned with bright colorful, comic book graphics of young space travelers having a great time on some far asteroid.

post-656-0-28329100-1306027820.jpgpost-656-0-52763600-1306027813.jpg

Everyone is happy, and not one alien in sight. The box has some deformation, but overall has retained most of its shape. I really love the the feel of this one, modern, but rooted in the fine science fiction tradition. ^_^

post-656-0-23587700-1306027828.jpg

Very nice gun. It's as though some of the designers of the 70s went into the future themselves and brought the ideas back to design these guns. If you look at some of the foreign scifi films of the 70s they used sharp edges and sweeping lines in the gun designs.

Nice rifle. It is based on an airsoft rifle made in the 80s. It appeared in a few movies, Space Hunter, and Trancers comes to mind. There was also a toy that looked a lot like that one that was sold in Toys-R=Us back in the 80s, or early 90s. It was black plastic, and a friction gun too, the box showed all the ways it could be assembled.

David.

Thanks to the good people on the Replica Props Forum I know the name of the airsoft rifle. It is a Masudaya Thunderbolt, which you can see here: http://classicairsoft.org/xforum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6706 Still looking for the name of the other toy rifle though.

David.

Thanks to the good people on the Replica Props Forum I know the name of the airsoft rifle. It is a Masudaya Thunderbolt, which you can see here: http://classicairsoft.org/xforum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6706 Still looking for the name of the other toy rifle though.

David.

Holy smokes, that's not just a passing resemblance, that's down right plagiarism!! :o

post-656-0-02664400-1306709463.jpg

It's too bad there wasn't a shot of the Thunderbolt with the sight attached, it would be a perfect matchup :blink: . So, I wonder who stole...I mean, borrowed from whom? :huh:

Thanks for the research Krel!

• 2 years later...

I hope that I am not stepping on anyone's toes, but the the toy that I wrote about is on e-bay now, with less than 24 hours to go. This is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-toy-Jackal-sniper-three-piece-with-scope-shoulder-stock-pistol-carbine-/151181443039?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item23331dbfdf

If I am breaking a rule, then I am sorry. Just tell that I have, and I will never do it again.

David.

• 4 years later...

After looking at this gun on Brady's wall since 2013 I finally was able to acquire one; it's a bit modern and has more stickers than I like, but I love the lines.

11.jpg

Nice get, Bill. Congrats.

So is there a "2002" sticker on the right side?

sideral.JPG

masudaya thunderbolt.JPG

Brady, I found an image with the rear sight. Like two peas in a pod!

A black version and a "spy" one (ref 526). With realistic illustrations. No doubt, the grey is the nicest.

Juypal Sideral 2002.jpg

Juypal agente.jpg

Thanks guys.  Agreed, the silver version looks to be the better color.  There are 2002 sticker on both sides...

So, do we think the gun dates to 2002, or was it a look to the future from the 90's?

02.jpg07.jpg

Brady, any guesses as to when this gun dates too; it's obviously a take on the Thunderbolt, if we can find a date on that we'll be in the ballpark?

Most often, "dates" on space guns are just for show, to make them more futuristic.

Bill, honestly, I'm not sure, I'll have to take a look at mine and let you know.

Archived