Paper: Revisiting The Fine Art Of Removing Sticker Residue

Keith Palmer

We've touched on this one before, but I am too sloppy to dig into the archives to find out where.

We all know that Goof Off will destroy paint.

I have found that a little bit of goo from off the end of a Shout stick will prepare sticky sticker residue for removal without damaging a finish.

Are there any other solutions out there?

Over the years, I have heard of the merits of WD-40, but I seem to recall that someone said it eats plastic.

Goo Gone seems safe for most applications. There is this other stuff I have used in non-toy sticker removal called Sol-U-Mel, and it seems milder still.

Does anyone have any real expertise in the nuances of the various approaches to removing sticky stuff?

I have used WD-40 and it works great. I have also been using Lemon Pledge it removes sticker residue and at the same time I use it to wax and clean the whole robot. I even used it to clean and shine my Dux Astroman and my vintage Roto-Robot. I started using it to clean and shine my cars 20 yrs ago it removes residue and protects the finish and cost very little to do so. So far it is working out great for me. I only use the yellow can I have not tried there other stuff since it works as is. :D

post-856-0-65295700-1305151705.jpg

It´s lemon, it´s an Astroman :rolleyes:

I use white spirit (Waschbenzin) It works everytime.

Many of the long-time dealers along The Antique Strip here in Adamstown have told me they use cigarette lighter lighter fluid.

cigarette lighter lighter fluid

Isn´t this the same as white spirit? It´s sometimes somewhat tricky with translations from german into english.

Blech, I believe you mean mineral spirits which is actually paint thinner. I've used it for years to remove residue from adhesives. You have to be carful with it on paper or cardboard. I usually dip a q-tip in it and remove the excess in a cloth and dab it on the sticker. If it saturates the paper a little heat usually dries the area. As for plastic or metal no problem. Mineral spirits are flammable as well.

DO NOT USE ACETONE. I don't think lighter fluid is the same thing and more corrosive?

Thanks for the hint, Phil. Now I got it. Mineral Spirit and White Spirit is the same. In Germany we call it Universalverdünnung (universal thinner). It is not good to remove sticker residues with it.

What do you fill into a Zippo? That´s the right one to remove the sticker residues. Lighter fluid - is it called Naphta?

Keith,,and everyone else who is interested,,,I've been using this stuff for years,it doesn't have to be this brand,,could be Ronson,or for that matter any fluid that is specificaly for petrol cigarette lighters.It removes any sticky substance safely from practicaly any surface.Great for getting the final sticker glue from packaging/ Book covers ect..post-540-0-45038200-1305311658.jpg

And as alway when using lighter fluid never smoke while cleaning. May end up with a flaming robot. lol :lol:

• Brian.. changed the title to Paper: Revisiting The Fine Art Of Removing Sticker Residue

Archived