Flash Gordon/ming Rocket Diorama

Phil R

I was in the middle of making a modern Buck Rogers diorama when Jim K. sent this surprise very cool 1930s serials 12" Ming rocket from the Flash Gordon serials. I guess the designers liked the double exhaust concept. :D If you've ever seen the serials you'll know that the exhaust smoke practically obscures the rocket. I minimized that so we could see the rocket. I used turned wood to portray the tops of the castle spires. They have bronze paint covered with stone textured spray paint. The rocket flying over the castle was done in wood by Jim K (great job as usual). I hand painted the rocket in colors indicative of Ming's rocket as Alex Raymond might do it. He often used green, yellow and red for his colors including the rocket. I added the motion exhaust using cotton sheets rolled around a dowel, adding glue and epoxy, and then painting it. It stand about 19". Next up is finishing the Buck diorama.

post-221-0-77700900-1303222368.jpg

post-221-0-96759900-1303222678.jpg

Hey Phil,

What can I say? Your imagination and talent knows no bounds. I sure wish that I could paint like that. Another awesome job.

JimK

Just for contrast and to show how much "Flash" (pun intended) Phil puts into his art. Here is a pic of my Ming rocket (made at the same time with the same materials). As you can see there is no comparison.

JimK

post-769-0-21328000-1303236631.jpg

That is one sweet ship !! Started me wondering. Who has the biggest collection of custom built pieces ? I'm pretty sure I know who has produced the most. John , Andy , Robobob , Electric robot and son. But who has the biggest collection ? Ozzie ? Andy ? Xris ? Phil has to be up there ? How many do you have now Phil ? I would love to see all of them together some day. The logistical nightmare of moving the stuff would pretty much prevent that I guess. :P Jim, what are the headers made from ? Tubing ?

Jim, what are the headers made from ? Tubing ?

Hey Mark,

I think that Phil has about 6 or so of my modest creations and I know he has a few of yours so I am sure he is way up in the standings.

As for the headers, they are made from a chunk of aluminum rod, the collectors are made from a plastic tube and the exhaust tip are beads that I stole......borrowed from the wife's collection. That's about it.

JimK

Phil, Jim,

Another great collaboration! I love the whimsical look of the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers ships. You guys have captured that feel again in your newest creation. I would have never thought of using the cotton for the smoke but it really does work.

• 4 weeks later...

The ship is beautiful. But I really love the creativity in the base on this one. Just the impression of a city/castle-scape without taking center stage. Very nicely done all around.

Roger

Archived