React-Orr Mechanical Worker

Grandpa

In 1872 Richard React and Albert Orr formed the React-Orr Manufacturing Company in Youngstown, Ohio. Richard was a very talented mechanical designer and Albert was one of the pioneers in steam power systems. They designed the React-Orr Mechanical Solder and tried selling it to the War Department. The War Department was still paying off a heavy debt from the civil war and had little interest in the project. Richard and Albert developed a new design and called it the React-Orr Mechanical Worker. Even though it was at the height of the industrial revolution they didn't have much success in selling the new design. Richard and Albert tried to convince the American companies on the advantage of the React-Orr Mechanical Worker over the typical worker. The React-Orr Mechanical Worker would work in hostile and dangerous environments non stop and never complain if as long as you feed it a couple shovels full of coal every few hours.The companies answered back by saying workers were plentiful and cheap and if the worker complained they would just replace the worker.

After several years of slow sales, React and Orr added marketing expert Fineas J. Robot as a partner to help generate sales. Fineas concentrated on the Japanese Toy manufacturing industry and automated many of the toy makers that were making cheap metal toys that were being sold in the US. The sales in Japan were so great that they moved manufacturing and headquarters operations to Japan. The new company was named React-Orr Robot Manufacturing. The Japanese were so impressed with the machinery that they maned a complete toy line after it and called it “Tin Robots”. The rest is history.

Construction article to follow.

The robot is built from aluminum and brass billets, everything is machined on a lathe and mill. It is around 7" tall without it's smokestack. I used John's e-cig device to provide the smoke, the fan unit and e-cig heater unit is controlled by a microprocessor to cycle the smoke on and off. It's still a work in process, but here are a few pictures showing the progress.

post-242-0-88217200-1301707983.jpg

post-242-0-11541600-1301708000.jpg

post-242-0-72872600-1301708040.jpg

post-242-0-39396300-1301708062.jpg

Now who would have ever thought there would have been a microprocessor involved in this build ? :P

Gramps,,did you purchase the E-cig and the blower unit ? What voltage does the blower run on ? This is shaping up to be a very nice contribution to the cause. Get busy dude !

Eagle, I purchased the e-cig heaters and 0 nicotine natural filters from http://www.e-healthcigarettes.com/. The voltage is 5 volts but I have had it work at 3.2 volts. I got the fan from http://www.electricsumo.com/shop/5-vdc-volt-dc-mini-micro-muffin-fan/ they are really slow on delivering the fan it was around 40 days. I used some 18mm mini funnels I found on ebay to attach the flexible silicone tubing to the fan.

Nice bit of machining there Gramps! Yes the E cigs can realy kick out a ton of smoke when controled properly, "to much air flow is as bad as no air flow since the smoke shoots out so fast it disperses evenly in the air" realy amazing when set up right. Go back and check out the projects including the space ship I used the e cigs smokers for. Love the back story also gramps, part April fools and part Boiler plate robot type legend.

• 11 months later...

Gramps,,did you finish him ? I can't get on your web site. :unsure:

Eagle; I haven't finished it but am planning on trying to work on it as it gets warmer. I took my website down, I'm really not up to building any longer and I still had people wanting them. I'm to the point now it is extremely difficult to build or sand and painting is out of the question since I'm on 24 hr oxygen.

I understand sir ! I'm not pushing you to finish it. It was such a beautiful Steampunk project ! If there is any way to help you with the project,, I will !

Archived