1936 Buck Rogers Space Patch

nasa

SR, I was thinking the same thing. How easy would it be to make this patch? Get a good one like the one at the Morphy auction and away you go. By the way, it's 3-1/2". This item is coming out because of the price they're bringing or it's like the Buck Explorer badge that seemed to turn up in colors other than the red background and was being sold cheaply for a short time, I believe from South America. Where there's a will there's a way.

This is a 2020 update of lost material.   The blue patch is original and the Toytent is the repro

buck rogers 1936 patch.jpg

3536-1.jpg

Cool patch! At that price, though, I'm glad I'm not a patch collector. ;)

If you repro it, PLEASE put in some significant tells. This is exactly the kind of thing that, if accidentally pushed into the market, could screw a lot of unsuspecting buyers.

I think I will have 5-10 copies of this made. I doubt they'll look that close that there will be a problem, but if so I will mark them on the back with something permanent so there is no confusing them as original.

• 1 month later...

Well, as promised, just for grins I sent the Buck Rogers patch to my manufacturer and here is what they came up with. It won't be confused with the original, but it'll look cool. I will have them add the missing fins to the rocket, and if possible go more goldenrod on the background, but otherwise it will look like this. They are 22.00, if anyone would want one.

post-704-0-60011500-1305157148.jpg

I'm not sure they understood it was a rocket and probably thought it was an elaborate hair due. That's one thing that always bugged me about this patch, the lack of contrasting colors between the helmet and rocket. Perhaps, because your not trying to do a repro they could do the ship in silver and gray or another color?

There are definitely some problems with the facial features . The eyes extra side lines for the nose, the nose, the mouth and the background is anemic. The think TP may have something. Perhaps another color for the background if not yellow to make sure of the difference.

Archived