Aoshin Flying Space Saucer Video

Fineas J. Whoopie

Thanks funk!

John -$10,000 - $15,000? Wow! Was that part of the toy or the whole toy? I bet he doesn't go around shooting that thing off every day.

David - C-cells. 6 1/2 " diamiter for the saucer and about 6 " high. Your comments cracked me up. I don't think I've quite jumped the shark just yet.;)

Noel - you got that right!!

John -$10,000 - $15,000? Wow! Was that part of the toy or the whole toy? I bet he doesn't go around shooting that thing off every day.

It's an unproduced prototype. The rocket latches kept breaking and children died from choking incidents with small rockets in other toy lines (Mattel's Battlestar Galactica) so the toy was revamped prior to release. The released one has the rocket sonic welded into the jetpack.

Anyway, don't want to take attention away from your topic. I just know this is a pricey toy and the way you protected it reminded me of the fear Tommy and I had of shooting that rocket, but when were we ever going to have a chance again? LOL

John

Aoshin, like Yonezawa and Nomura, was an older toy company with roots in Japan's "golden age" of post-war tin toy manufacturing. In the 1950's, Aoshin produced several classic tin robots (including "Tremendous Mike" and the "Chime Trooper") and a variety of tin cars, all marked with their "ASC" logo. Riding into the '70s, however, they found themselves face-to-face with a rapidly growing market for diecast toys instead.

Faced with childrens' changing tastes in the early 1970's, Aoshin shifted gears to a curiously minor subset of character toys -- portrayals of animated and live-action heroes riding on motorcycles, in cars, dune buggies, and even "swan-boats." An odd market, to be sure, but probably driven by the fact that Aoshin either missed the chance (or couldn't afford) to purchase the license to make figural diecast toys for the characters.

Ultra-Gokin revisited

In what would appear to be a sign of collaboration between the two companies, several of Aoshin's toys were packaged in boxes nearly identical to those of the "Ultra Gokin" toys produced by the Nakajima corporation. Tekkaman, Pegas and Groizer X got their "license to ride" in this series, which featured little vinyls of them perched atop three-wheeled motorcycles called "Jet Machines."

Spin Action

Aoshin didn't limit themselves to diecast tricycle toys. They also produced a series of larger, all-plastic versions as well. The boxes proudly boasted of a "spin action" gimmick - the astounding ability to drive forward and pop wheelies.

Aoshin produced a random grab-bag of other character toys as well. In a throwback to the '50s, they produced a tin rendition of Tiger Mask, as well as a Moonlight Mask toy, a tin '63 Ford Galaxie "lowrider" (!) driven by Kamen Rider Amazon, and quite possibly others as well.

what a great saucer don! terific! congrats!

the robot is simply beautiful, I played with the war boat couple of times at marco's place when he didn't look :P

(don;t tell :lol: )

and the little robot is just super!

I think I like it even much more on the saucer with all its actions than on the boat when they would be placed next eachother

the boat which had a cool action too btw, a rotating propeller to actually put it in the water!! i wouldn't be surprised if marco did test it

marco where is your youtube movie :lol:

FANTASTIC SAUCER DON! Thanks a lot for your little movie - (...now I see, what all these books are good for...;) :lol: )!

Great additional information about the AOSHIN company - MARK!!!:) THX A LOT!

Don, all I can say is. WOW WOW WOW. The ultimate saucer....... Congrats. The ICBM sat interceptor, even if it's much newer has wood rockets with the same rubber tips, also the other ICBM launcher on the track has them also....I think they are the same

Thanks Stan! I was hoping you would enjoy seeing the video.

Ken- I'm shopping for a tee shirt deal as we speak. Thanks.

Archived