Aoshin Flying Space Saucer Video

Fineas J. Whoopie

"Enjoy" - I did very much thank-you. The saucer is a very 'fast mover'. The light ontop of our little robot driver is very very bright. The missles also get out of the gate very quickly. One neat toy.

Very nice Don! I can see why this saucer is so rare/scarce, having a kid running after it at that pace, grabbing for it and trying to shoot the missiles all at the same time would be risky at best. Keep up the great collecting!!! B)

That's an awesome toy, Don. Lots of movement, light, noise -- everything that makes these toys great!

Morbius: I think the scarcity is probably the result of the following scenario:

"Timmy, if you don't turn that thing off and stop that racket, you're gonna get it!"

"I'm warning you mister..."

"Don't you point those missiles at me, young man!"

"Timmy, if you don't take your finger off that button, I swear I'm going to throw that thing right in the garbage!"

"I'm gonna count down, and that thing better be on the floor when I'm finished or it's going in the trash!"

"Alright, mister: Three... Two... One-"

*Bang!*

*Bonk!*

"TIMMY!!!!!!!!"

Garbage Man: "Hey, what's this broken toy...?"

Yes the Flying Space Saucer is a really strong runner which is amazing considering it's age. I would love to nail down a solid date for this toy but to my knowledge we don't have any catalog sightings or anything else for that matter to go by. In his book Modern Toys From Japan, William Gallagher states that Marvelous Mike was the first toy with mystery action (aka bump 'n go). We do have a solid 1955 date for Marvelous Mike so we can say that the Flying Space Saucer is from no earlier than 1955. It very well may be one of the earliest mystery action toys as well as early in the robot time line (let's not forget this toy, like Marvelous Mike is driven by a robot).

Is there a date for the War Boat? Don't these toys have similar missiles? Maybe that offers a clue as to when it was made.

(If not the War Boat, perhaps some other toy? A tank or something?)

No solid dates for the War Boat either - which is also made by Aoshin and does use the same rockets and the same pressing for the robot driver.

In fact a search of our timeline database brings zero results for Aoshin. I think this is because the database is dependant mainly on catalog sightings. Of course any toy that ends up in a catalog is probably going to go on to sell a large number of units. So - rarer toys are less likely to be found in old catalogs. Except of course toys that were featured in a catalog before being changed or discontinued like Masudaya's Shooting Giant robot.

Hm... What sort of other toys did Aoshin make? What about tanks or other military-related pieces that might have also used the rockets? Has anyone seen anything? Eagle... Anything like that ever pop up on your radar when searching for toy planes or tanks?

Great video, Don! My favorite part is your hand tracking it back and forth so it doesn't fall off the table and nothing falls on it. LOL

Here's one for you:

Tommy Garvey (vintage Star Wars guy) and I firing a real rocket Fett prototype. That's a $10,000-15,000 toy.

John

Is this toy pretty tiny? It looks no bigger than your hand. What size battery does it take? I expected it to do more than it does. I imagined there'd be some turret spinning and maybe even automatic firing and big noise - There ought to be smoke and really, for what it must cost now, it ought to fly! I'll bet it was a $1.99 or $2.99 toy and they didn't go overboard on actions. The look certainly couldn't be better and the speed is a lot of fun too. I suppose the manual firing is better anyway because it gives you a chance to aim for your brothers head. Congratulations. You'll have trouble beating this one. Maybe you should just have your auction now.

Archived