ST-1 Walking Problem

Nikola Tesla

In anticipation of Volker's ST-1 repro, I thought it would be cool to fix up the original and display them side-by-side---only trouble is, mine has a bad hip (something up by the w/u motor housing), which allows his left leg to "toe-in" and "toe-out", causing him to stagger and freeze-up and all sorts of bad things. He can stand still just fine---but when you pick him up his left leg is definitely dangling and side-to-side.

I'm sure it's just a worn linkage or something, and I wouldn't hesitate to operate on him---if I knew how to begin. What's the secret to cracking the box on these little robots without destroying them?

;)

post-2-1084648805.jpg

I've wondered about this too. I bought one a while back to fix up. You have to admire the engineering here. There aren't any connections that don't fit into the design of the piece - no connections that are connections only. the other thing about this fellow is that he looks good in crappy rusty scuffed up shape for some reason. I'm reluctant to hide the evidence of his previous accomplishments.

Yes, I'm not as concerned with his surface blemishes as I am with his gimpy leg---I'd like to see (or make) a video of an original ST-1 and Volker's repro strolling along side-by-side----but first I have to try to restore this fellow to strolling condition.

;)

Hey, I'm serious! Am I better off not tinkering with this guy---because I may end up destroying him---or is there a way to safely open him up? I guess I should be asking Volker, since he's seen more of this guy's innards than most of us.

;)

• Brian.. changed the title to ST-1 Walking Problem

Archived