1953 - Gilmark Fireball Rocket Australian Version by Fethalite

ANZinSpace

Ages ago I bought two of these spaceships from an Australian seller. They were attributed to an Aussie company "Moulded Products Australasia" under their Fethalite brand. The main thing that suggested they weren't Gilmark spaceships was the design of the wheels. Well today I found an advert in the SA Advertiser newspaper dated 30th July 1953 which confirms a date and that they were available locally but it still doesn't confirm their Australian manufacture except by omission (Non-Australian toys usually have their country of origin or company name included in description).

post-1110-0-28279300-1294114981.jpg

post-1110-0-78842400-1294115158.jpg post-1110-1264174352.jpgpost-1110-1264174716.jpg

The other thing of interest is that the ad mentions at least three types of space ships - Single jet, Double jet and multi-jet. The single jet is probably the one shown in the advert. The double could be this one which I also have again with the same wheel set. Which leaves the question of which Gilmark space ship did they clone for the multi-jet. I believe one strong possibility is that they had a set of the Gilmark Jetmobile dies/molds and so I'm looking for the multi-jet from this series (see image below).

post-1110-0-50519300-1294115636.jpgpost-1110-0-15171000-1294116103.jpg

post-1110-0-61903700-1294116352.jpg

These are cool looking spaceships, but I don't remember ever seeing the gilmark ships.

Phil R had this post on them - Gilmark Space toys

Also Brian had these ones by Poplar plastics in Wales - Poplar Plastics spaceships

As to the Jetmobiles this is what I took of the sellers EBAY listing

Toy Name: Gilmark Merchandise Corp., Set of Three Jetmobiles on Original Box

Year: c.1952

Description:

This auction includes three Buck Rogers style rockets or space ships called Jetmobiles. Each is an original design by the Gilmark Merchandising Corporation, New York, NY. The three ships are seated in their original die cut, printed, raised platform box. Best of all....each ship is in pristine mint condition! It looks like they were never played with. The box itself grades excellent+ to near mint.

Gilmark produced a variety of inexpensive polystyrene plastic toys during the early 1950's. However, they were most notable for their unique space toy designs.

The three Jetmobiles include (from left to right in the first photo), The Flash, The Supersonic, and The Fireball. Each ship is embossed "Gilmark, N.Y., Made in USA" on the underside.

The Flash - red fuselage with two pair of horizontal wings. The rounded tail fin, multiple exhausts, and wheels are purplish-blue colour. Features a "sting-ray like" pair of front wings and six exhaust ports. Uses four wheels. Rear axle measures 2¼" wide, front is only ¾" wide. Length: 4". Condition: Pristine mint without a single scratch, scuff, nick, chip, crack, or anything else. Wheels, axles, and axle supports are in mint condition. Brilliant uniform colours.

The Supersonic - completely red fuselage flanked by two large red exhausts. Double rear wings and two more exhausts can be seen in the rear. Four yellow wheels and axles: 2¼" wide up front, 1¼" in the rear. Size: 4" long. Condition: identical to The Flash; pristine mint etc. Note; the top of the centre rear fuselage has a tiny black mark embedded into the plastic. Occurred during manufacturing.

The Fireball - yellow double decker fuselage with upper and lower wrap around windows. The single main fin and large rear exhaust are red. Four red wheels and axles; 2" in the rear and 1¼" up front. Size: 4" long. Condition: like The Flash and The Supersonic; pristine mint condition without a single flaw.

The Box

A three dimensional raised green and white platform style box was die cut to perfectly accommodate the wheels and axles of the three ships. It holds them securely, yet they can be easily removed. The name of each Jetmobile was printed below each spaceship. The box itself was designed as a futuristic backdrop to the three ships and could be used as part of the toy. It shows a wide highway with early 50's style automobiles streaming across an archway which extends into the clouds. Simple images of the Moon and Saturn were printed in the sky area along with more clouds. The front and back of the box were printed only with the word "JETMOBILES" in large capitalized letters. The end flaps (which do open) include the manufacturer's name. The box bottom is blank white; however it does have its original 29¢ price inside a circle stamped onto it in blue ink. The pieces of card stock which were punched out for the Jetmobile axles are still moving around inside the box.

• 2 weeks later...

I've now found another Aussie set containing the "Gilmark/Poplar plastics" rocket and the set comes with a "Pyro" Space control gun and two 2 inch "Tudor Rose" astronauts.

The space explorer set was advertised in the West Australian newspaper dated 26 November 1953 (apparently '53 was a very good year for Aussie space toys).

The thing I'm really happy about is I have each of the items in the set - all bought from Aussie dealers, so I may have the set by default - of course what I really want is either the card or better yet a mint set on card. In the meantime I can muck about and add my toys to the advert.

post-1110-0-19293000-1295184722.jpg

post-1110-0-22523700-1295184739.jpg

Archived