I Need Some Advice...

Andyman

This is kind of a weird situation for me and I would appreciate any input.

I've just been contact by a person representing another person who passed away and was the owner of one of my Andybots. She was looking for info and value for what I assume what will be some kind of estate sale. ROM-L was sold to a woman last October but I sensed that she was buying it for someone else. The person who contacted me did not reveal the deceased's name. The person wanted to know if I was interested in buying ROM-L back. I offered to re-list it on my website making sure the profits go to the estate. Does that make sense or should I just buy it back? Should I pay the original price if I do? Help! :unsure:

Andy,,,It is an awkward one.Why did she not mention the deceased name? :unsure:

Anyway without sounding harsh I would suggest to her that she could try and sell it privately with a start price of what she paid for it.

If you actually see it listed for sale and in the end it doesn't sell,if you feel like helping then offer to list it back on your website.

Really you are under no obligation to buy it back. :closedeyes:

I offered to re-list it on my website making sure the profits go to the estate. Does that make sense or should I just buy it back? Should I pay the original price if I do? Help! :unsure:

If you feel the person who approached you is being sincere, I think your offer to re-list with proceeds going to the estate is a very kind one. The value of the Andybot has no doubt risen (I only have to look at all the "sold" signs posted on your site to tell me your creations have great collectibility).

By offering to share the proceeds with the estate, you are taking the high road. Should the person you're dealing with turn down your offer for whatever reasons, dubious or otherwise, I'm with Sparkrobot . . . you're under no obligation to buy it back.

Thanks guys. My ultimate concern is that ROM-L doesn't end up in some garage sale and go to someone who doesn't appreciate it. I feel that a piece of me is in every Andybot and I'd like to make sure it ends up in a good home. Buying it back would be my last resort but I will do that if necessary.

Again, I have no idea if the person who originally purchased it is the deceased. I suspect that she was buying it for someone else.

Well, until I get more info from the person who contacted me I'll guess we'll have to wait and see what's up.

Andy, I'd find out who the owner was. Then offer to resale on your site or Ebay. Plus handling charges. I mean it's not fair for you to buy it back at full retail value. But, I know where your coming from. I had the something like that happen last year. I built a custom Bulldog tank for a guy 8 yrs ago. Back then the Bulldogs were HOT ,selling for 4 to 5 times as they sell for now. This guy lost his job and wanted me to buy it back at Full face value. I couldn't . I mean once it leaves the lot,,,,you know....

You definitely don't have any obligation to buy it back -- and I'd be careful about offering to list it. If it doesn't sell, what then? Will the seller hold you to it somehow? (Or at least try to?) I think you need to be very careful about how you handle this to avoid putting yourself in a frustrating situation.

Good luck!

This is kind of a weird situation for me and I would appreciate any input.

I've just been contact by a person representing another person who passed away and was the owner of one of my Andybots. She was looking for info and value for what I assume what will be some kind of estate sale. ROM-L was sold to a woman last October but I sensed that she was buying it for someone else. The person who contacted me did not reveal the deceased's name. The person wanted to know if I was interested in buying ROM-L back. I offered to re-list it on my website making sure the profits go to the estate. Does that make sense or should I just buy it back? Should I pay the original price if I do? Help! :unsure:

If this was one of your early pieces of art and have the funds to purchase it, you may want to buy it back. I had a similar event and purchased an early piece of surrealistic art I had painted over 30 years earlier. Emotionally it was like a long lost child coming back home. I get to enjoy it over and over as I pass by it hanging on my wall. Also, I get to study it for early technique and comparisons with current work and was quite surprised at what I had done back in the early days.

Peace,

Chaz

MY ADVICE FOR TODAY:

BUY YOUR ANDYBOTS ALWAYS FARMFRESH OUT OF THE TRUNK - ONCE YOU HAVE PICKED THEM UP, THEY HAVE ALREADY DOUBLED THEIR VALUE ! ;) :lol:

The ATTENTION DOUBLES the price - ARTIST DYING would SQUARE the price. But would you mind to wait just a bit longer with that - who will drive us to dinner, if we will make it to another BS some day?? :D

Ha ha! Yes, who would drive you around Botstock if I'm dead?

:glare: You hear that Robotnut? I've got the Germans looking out for me now. Don't you dare try anything! ;)

Andy,

Buy back at original price. You must at least maintain the value of your fantastic original creations. I have been missing recently due to part funding via my collection a wrecked property purchase. Heck I have never owned a really rare robot but by buying and selling property I might just join the big boys! I never sold my purchases from you Andy and never will!

Cheers Andy

Doc, good point.

Chaz, ROM-L was sold in October of 2009. He's a pretty cool looking bot so I am tempted to buy him back.

Gee I didn't realize it was last October a year ago! That's only 7 years in dog years. If it's not particularly dear to your heart, I think would pass on it since there wouldn't be a marked change in your style.

Dirk,

It's a funny thing you mention that about the Artists dying. Here lately I've been getting correspondence from people who want to know if I'm dead. They are a little more delicate than that so they ask if I'm the son of the Artist. Ha! Maybe I'll out live ALL of them. Just in case though, I've been methodically giving away my works to my children.

Peace,

Chaz

Well I decided to buy ROM-L back. I was looking at pictures of him and decided he was just too cool looking to give up to fate. Not sure if I should mention the death of the previous owner when I re-list him. :unsure:

The woman who contacted me was a friend of the family. It turns out she was basically ebaying the (dead) guy's art collection. For some reason she was hesitant about ebaying ROM-L. I would have been curious to see what he would have gone for. ;)

The guy had also purchased the ray gun "Quantum Fireball 10X" from me but she didn't say anything about that when I inquired. Somebody may get a good deal on ebay.

Archived