Rare Robby Robot Roulette Bank

robothunter

Pat, sorry, both you and your wife are sick, hope you both feel better soon. It would have been a great pleasure to meet you at BotStock!

Regarding this bank, There is also a picture of it in the Sotheby's Griffith Auction Catalogue,page 122, item 370. You can just make out Robby in the porthole. According to this catalogue, this bank is made by KANTO. But after seeing the logo I would tend to agree with the dratomic that this is actually Sankei.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert - Great catch! I've read that catalog a hundred times and was at the auction buying but never noticed that item before. I guess I saw a bunch of toy banks and discounted it at once as something I wasn't interested in. Just goes to show how you have to look through all the nooks and crannys if you're gonna find the good stuff!

Robert-let me echo Pat and say a super catch. Like Pat(and many of us)I've gone thru that catalog more times than I can count and missed this item. I definately do not recall looking at this bank at both auction previews I had attended.

Pat-had your realized that Robby was on this bank at the auction-would you have bid on the whoel lot just to obtain this one piece?

Steve - Even if I did catch this at the Griff auction that day I would only have bought the entire lot if I got it for what I was willing to pay just fot the one peice. Otherwise I would then have to deal with selling off the rest and I don't know squat about banks. Do you have the realized prices for that sale handy? I had a copy but can't find it and while I was writing down the sale prices on all the robots during the actual auction, I didn't bother making a note of what that lot sold for. I'm curious to know. Thanks.

Anyone have the realized price for item #370?(for the life of me I cann't figure out where I put my realized prices)

Just found my actual auction catalog where I jotted down the final prices-I show this item hitting reserve at $2,500. I do not think I added buyers premium to my prices.

I pulled a copy of the auction results off their website back on Dec. 9, 2000. Lot #370 sold for $3000, which includes the buyer's premium.

And BTW Steve, I got your Sony lens cap back from Jeff and will include it in my return mail envelope.

Pat, I could be guessing here, but something tells me that it was worth the wait on this bank, financially speaking.... :D

Robert - Well, actually I paid a pretty penny compared to what it sold for as part of a much larger lot. Although in all fairness I don't know what the value of those other banks were. Mabe the Robby bank was the most desirable? Who knows. Mine sold at an auction in Japan and on top of the winning bid there was a buyer's premium, a commission to the person who attended the auction and picked it up, overseas shipping & insurance, and I'm sure a few coins for Jay who put the whole deal together. When all was said and done, it cost me $700.00. But not having ever seen one before, and given how great it looks in the showcase sitting between both version of Space Bus, I'm happy to have found it. The right price is always what you're willing to pay to own it. Period.

In every great auction catalog there are the high record setting peices and the small treasures that seems to be given away. You can't get hung up on what something might have sold for in the past. Besides, I've got some robots that I've practically stolen and they're worth a lot of money. So over time, it all evens out in the end!

this strikes me as an important piece that is for practical purposes fresh on the scene. adding to this... good dealer and good collector.

Thanks for the kind words, Keith.

The only shame here is that the thing photographs so poorly!! It really is beautiful in person with rich deep colors. Only problem is that to get close enough to pick up the litho details, even with the flash turned all the way down or off, it still gets all washed out in the exposure. If I can manage to get a really clear crisp photo I'll post in here.

Hi Pat. I took a couple of pictures of the Robby Bank before you picked it up, and I posted them on my web site. I think these pics show the richness of the red and blue colors.

Robby Bank

Thanks, Jay. Your photos are much better than mine. Anybody wanting to see how cool this toy is should follow Jay's link above.

Archived