Rare Robby Robot Roulette Bank

robothunter

I thought until today that the two versions of Space Bus and the X-15 Space Patrol Saucer were the only toys that had litho images of Robby the Robot on them. Then my good friend Jay of JSBToys got me this neat little roulette bank from a dealer in Japan. There's a photo of it in the Morita book under the section on space banks, but the photos are so small I never realized that one of the four portholes litho'd around the toy had Robby in it. When you drop a coin in the slot it hits a spring mounted plate and the ball spins around a roulette wheel that has the names of the planet and point scores on it. Very cool. Also very cheaply made and I wonde if it wa some kind of give-away or promotional item or prize from a carnival. But it does have Robby and that made it a "must have" for my collection. Anyone know this maker;s mark??.....

post-2-1083788704.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or does it look like Robby is flipping the bird? An American gesture done with the middle finger, I'm not sure the rest of the world does it or if it has the same meaning.

Well, actually wouldn't Robby be giving the finger to the world on behalf of Japan? So I guess we're the guys getting flipped the bird here.

Looks like the maker's mark is Sankei, creator of everyone's favorite little Television Robot. I dug up the info from one of Steve's posts on his robots.

Nice bank, by the way. Seems appropriate for you, all things considered. :)

You know, I never even made the connection. A banker who collects Robby Robot items scores a Robby Robot Bank. Thank you, my good Doctor, for pointing that out!

Super cool!! Apart from the bad-gesturing-Robby, I can see some nice drawings of astronauts in the other spaceship "windows"...

If this truely is a "Sankei" piece-they are masters at litho. I have seen some non space toys made by them they will blow you away with the detailing of the graphics. No question as to why Robot 5 and Saneki TV robot are such fine pieces. Not to mention Pat's pick-up here.

Archived