Winter Competition

Eagle

As was expected. Andy, does the incense smell like Mobil 1 ? So far not one dud in the whole bunch. Nice job. I'm plugging away. Andy, do you go through a package a week of Dremel cut-off wheels like I do ?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at that rate but I do go through them. It scares the crap outta me using them though. One day I'm gonna get careless and ZIP, there goes my fingers. ;)

Another great entry!

After all entries have been submitted, how about one of our graphically talented members photoshopping a group picture.... you know, sort of a family reunion shot? It might be a piece of art on its own....

While a few of you guys have been 'hanging about' with this competition I started getting itchy fingers,and as I can't afford to buy any classic robots at the moment ,with me it's a case of necessity is the mother of invention.

So either later tonight or early tomorrow I will be submitting my latest creation.

I decided Iron Jack needed a partner and in a nutshell he ends up with a robot dog, originally called BARKER and eventually known as LOCK JAW.

I will start a seperate post with all the pics and the full origin story.

Sorry no build pictures this time,but he was basicaly made from the same materials ,,Lead ,,Lead flashing ,,pipes ect.

I used a lot less epoxy glue and a load more screws and donar parts from toy dolls

[ different sizes for the front and back legs ] also as Jack he lights up.

As I've heard from people the second one is the difficult one ,,paintings ,,music albums ect .Well that was definitely true with me ,a lot of times I almost gave up and I started losing confidence thinking he wasn't living up to the standards I had set myself with Jack.

Overall I ended up pleased with him and will take any critisisms from you lot in my stride :glare: ;)

Also I've got a sound chip I might add later when I do another video.

Sparks, you don't know how many times I go through that. Sometimes there is just no "spark" (pun intended ;)) with a particular project and I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall. Usually I'll just set that one aside and start another project until inspiration hits me. Frankenbot was a fine example of that. Originally he was supposed to be a dome headed robot with rabbit eat antennas.

Talking of ears,,I nearly cut one of mine off when building Barker,I know how Van Gogh felt :blink: S'pose I shouldn't make light or compare myself with Van Gogh,but you know what I mean.

Seriosly though I dont no if I've got the temprement to custom build all year 'round.

I will do the Barker / Lock Jaw post tomorrow.

Spark,,,don't give up on me.... :closedeyes: I have restarted this project 4 times. Things just didn't click . Now it is starting to come together. It's very difficult to build this project in one medium. Metal. All welded, formed , riveted and soldered together. It has been a very trying winter, in regards to my job. Just so you know I'm still in the running,,,a small photo of a work in progress.

post-545-0-45392500-1298772552.jpg

Using a tea light candle performs okay although it does tend to get oxygen starved unless you prop the door open with the lever. It does produce a slight smoke out of his head.

post-231-0-01030000-1298226670.jpg

post-231-0-90048600-1298226699.jpg

The incense cone turns out to be the perfect application for this robot. Once lit, Boilergut just cranks out the smoke. A friend of mine point out that a incense stick could also be used in his vent tube (non functional) sticking out of his back.

post-231-0-34932900-1298227018.jpg

post-231-0-43281200-1298227052.jpg

post-231-0-28332100-1298227078.jpg

Andy, just saw Boilergut. Fantastic! One of my favorites! Great design and function.

Imagine this design on a larger scale to replace the outdoor smoker. Mmmmm ribs.

Welp, I guess I sorta kinda came up with a second submission. This is Gearbocks. His influence came from Boilerplate and the little clanks from the "Girl Genius" online steampunk comics which I highly recommend for a good read. You can find it here.

Gearbocks is made from an old metal power supply box that had a built in "mouth". He has a set of 4 heavy duty gears that I've had laying around forever because they were too big to use in anything. I actually assembled them onto a wood block so they would fit together which took some serious "figgering" to get them to turn smoothly. You can manually crank his mouthful of gears by turning the knob on his back. I also installed 4 flickering LEDs, two in the eyes and two highlighting his gears. An old fashion throw switch also on his back turns them on. When I finished Gearbocks I realized, rather serendipitously, that I made a Spongebob Squarepants robot. ;)

post-231-0-82117600-1299972862.jpg

post-231-0-72282000-1299972881.jpg

post-231-0-97439400-1299972902.jpg

post-231-0-30857600-1299972925.jpg

Archived