Winter Competition

Eagle

I have been mulling this idea around for awhile and now seems to be a good time to present it. Soon we will be in the grasp of winter. Not a lot going on. A little bit of spare time perhaps. Lots of new members. A project to look forward to . I'm going to throw this out and see if there is any interest at all . A little competition is good. A build off if you will. We choose one or two robots or space related items. Lets just say a Diamond Robot or Rocket ship. Once we decide on the one or two items,,then anyone that want's to participate Builds one or both of the items in any size or medium of their choosing . Any size. Could be made of metal, clay, plastic, wood, a drawing or whatever. Static, battery operated, wind-up,,computerized , Gigantic or tiny......Any ideas ? The origin of the project could come from anywhere. Sci-Fi magazine cover, original art,the Data base ,,,,,,Any interest, or should I just start rebuilding that 58 Evinrude and dusting off the toys on the shelves. Believe me , it will be fun ! 😉 The toughest part will be choosing the subject material. Any and all skill levels welcome. You'll be amazed of what you can do if you put your mind to it.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a good idea Mark. Gernot's post about the wind up art display in Japan puts me in a creative mood. I particularly like the idea of working in any medium and any size. Puts guys like me without a proper workshop in the running. Let's do it!

Mark,,,,,,,Count me in,as long as the completion date is not this year,,I'm not joking,these are very busy times for all of us,but I really like the idea but as long as I don't have to rush.Say very early in the new year maybe the end of January would be great for me.

The thing that's got me really interested is that the model can be any medium.

Not being a great model builder the thought that it can be made of any material has intrigued me.

The other thing is I personaly would like the competition to include be a robot.If other people want to build a rocket or spaceship then that is no problem.

Let's hope this one takes of like the Dollar store comp......How long ago was that?? :mellow: :) .

Well that's four of us,,it's a a start. Steve ,I have no problem with starting it in Jan. The primary category will be a Robot. Anybody can submit a suggestion for the subject material. Hope we can find a robot that Jim and John have not built yet . :huh: Lets start digging through the archives ,old movies and Sci-Fi magazines.

Oh by the way, it's coming up on 4 yrs since the last time we did anything like this,,yeah that's right 4 yrs....How the world has changed.. Mr Conner, I'm excited to see you on board !

Jim, get the lathe oiled up. I'm hoping Gramps starts to feel better and John got a wood stove put in the shop. I'm going to call Jim Quinlan [Florida Robot] and send a message to Amoebaboy . Does anyone remember who participated in the DS comp ? Let me think..

Electric Robot, Phil, Jim Q ,Mr Rigg , MMM , Scott Cragstan ,Andy ,Myself, Joe K , I can't remember. :closedeyes:

Mark,,,There is a bit of confusion on what I said..I actually meant can the competition END around January / February time,this gives us time to enjoy our Christmas break and have enough leasure time to complete the project.

Now apart from enrolling a few more members can we start 'throwing' around a few suggestions of what robot/ spacecraft/raygun we are going to make.

These three just popped into my head that I wouldn't mind having a go at ,,Diamond Planet,,Target Earth,,Big Loo.

Steve, as with the DS comp, there is no time table . Some will come early, some later. In all I think the original time period was like 2 months. I think we had the party in August. Oh yeah Randy, too ! As always, welcome Andy. So present your ideas by posting photos of the bots. I second the motion for Diamond planet. Simple design yet it could be built complex. Remember, you do not have to copy the Robot to the "T",,artistic interpretation welcome . post-545-035123400 1291248541.jpg

thanks for the message eagle, il be up for it, its just finding the time.

il be working over the christmas period, if i manage to get anthing together i will post it here for sure.

I will join, but I just don't want to build a Diamond Robot not my way but I will build something to enjoy, so I'm all in!

MMM

post-441-047958700 1291306762.jpg

post-441-061545900 1291306780.jpg

post-441-017930500 1291306805.jpg

No vibrabots this time Andy ! :blush: Do you still have it ? I wonder if anyone kept those projects ?

Oh yeah, I still have it. Are you kidding? It's a classic! ;)

Archived