Winter Competition

Eagle

Thanks all,

I am glad that everyone seems to like it. It was a fun project but I think that it pales compared to some of the ones already posted. But that is OK too. Can't wait to see the other entries.

JimK

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this fits with the competition particularly since it's summer here but it sparked me to work on a project I've been umming and ahhing about. Basically sometime ago I bought a load of broken toys to get a space toy. So I kept thinking I should do something with these particularly with a broken racing car. Originally I was going to make some sort of single person space taxi however the parts I had didn't fit that concept well. So I went with a post apocalypse Ozploitation car.

post-1110-0-42713700-1297327464.jpg

post-1110-0-05136100-1297327469.jpg

The first picture is the items I was going to use for this. besides the car I also had a space helmet, 4 kinder surprise eggs, a table top bowling pin and a piece of plastic tubing. The second picture is of an el cheapo oil painters canvas and an equally cheap painting board. The latter I cut as shown to make a back board for a dune/rocky slope. I used the paper strips soaked in glue to make the base and then added more glue and tossed local sand over it to give a barren ground look.

Originally I was going to use the red dome as the windscreen cover but that didn't look right. So I heated a piece of plastic and pushed it over one side of the dome. This came out a little smoky and damaged so I decided it was tinted glass that had seen better days.

post-1110-0-43747000-1297327915.jpg

The other pieces I heated was the plastic pipe after I'd inserted it into the KS eggs. I did this to put a flange on the pipe so it couldn't pull out.

I made a 'laser' gun but cutting the top of the helmet and placing it over the face opening, I then heated pin and pushed it into the end of bowling pin and then drilled and glued some wires in for a "weapon" look. I then mounted it on top of the car.

Once I glued everything together I used some of my old model paints that I still had lying around and tried to give it a worn and weathered look. Still not totally happy with it but it's been a while since I painted a model.

So here is my entry "Turkey Shoot 2 - The Dunes of Despair"

post-1110-0-52129500-1297327460.jpg

For those who don't know Turkey Shoot was a dystopic future movie shot here in Australia and is referred to as an Ozploitation movie as there's nudity, gratuitous violence involving political prisoners begin used as prey by the Governor and his friends.

Anz

Very cool. I like it. And the construction process warms my heart. I hate to see things go to waste. That is why most all of my project are made out of junk. Fantastic job.

I like it and love the spirit of the project. Now I have to see the movie. Like Jim, I don't like to let things go to waste, but unlike Jim my stuff starts as junk and usually ends in Junk.. :P

Hi all,

this is a great thread and I love the work I've seen on here so far! Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm a noob... Is there somewhere else on this site that folks are posting their finished work? It seems like there are references to pieces posted, but I don't know where to look for them.

I wish I'd joined soon enough to get in on this competition...there's no way I'm gonna try to rush something out with the competition as fierce as it is :). I am currently working on a Horikawa-inspired cardboard bot, if it comes to anything I'll be sure to post some pics for y'all to check out.

Welcome Action Robot! Custom built and customized robot posts are in the TIN TOY ROBOTS > ALPHADROME > CUSTOMISED ROBOTS Forum.

Seeing as the competition bar has been raised by some very keen submissions, I decided to add some functionality to this piece. Originally I was just gonna go the usual flicker LED candle trick but I wasn't satisfied with that so I set up Boilergut to be able to function with either an LED candle, a regular tea light candle or an incense cone.

post-231-0-24518500-1298226122.jpg

post-231-0-15242300-1298226133.jpg

post-231-0-39558300-1298226143.jpg

With the LED candle you have a subtle furnace stoking away in the night. But there's not a big opening to view the flame unless you open the spring loaded door.

post-231-0-55760400-1298226438.jpg

post-231-0-51550600-1298226489.jpg

Using a tea light candle performs okay although it does tend to get oxygen starved unless you prop the door open with the lever. It does produce a slight smoke out of his head.

post-231-0-01030000-1298226670.jpg

post-231-0-90048600-1298226699.jpg

The incense cone turns out to be the perfect application for this robot. Once lit, Boilergut just cranks out the smoke. A friend of mine point out that a incense stick could also be used in his vent tube (non functional) sticking out of his back.

post-231-0-34932900-1298227018.jpg

post-231-0-43281200-1298227052.jpg

post-231-0-28332100-1298227078.jpg

Andy,,,,,,I knew you would ' come up trumps '..Another fantastic Andybot creation ,and a nice steampunk feel .And I dont think anyone will beat that name.

BOILERGUT :D :P :lol:

Also I bet this one will get you hooked on functionality,,

Look forward to seeing and hearing the talking Andybot in the near future.

[Not hijacking your post but I've sorced some cheap soundchips on ebay,,only 10 secs long but good enough for a few sound effects.]

Holy Smokes Andyman..sorry couldn't resist. Nice job on the Boiler door. Really like it a lot.

Jim, I think it is a cereal port :blush:

Archived