Winter Competition

Eagle

Gramps and Steve summed it all up. This isn't the NFL . If it was we would be building the NFL robot in Steeler colors ! Yeah lets work on variations of the Boilerplate theme. PS it's not my site. It belongs to Brian ! He maintains the entire concept and site. He also tolerates the rest of us. A True gentleman. So I'm guessing we are headed toward basic steam punk ? I have no problem with that !Boilerplate variations? Stay with the basic concept but expand on the variations. Make the core powerplant and riveted boilerplate manufacturing process reflecting the model ?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, let me know if this is the Boilerplate Robot we are speaking of and if any variation is allowed? So long as it has the riveted plate look either skinny or fat tall or short doesn't matter as long as it's based off of the Boilerplate robot Right?

mmm

post-441-027681100 1291577337.jpg

post-441-007425100 1291577353.jpg

post-441-059102100 1291577370.jpg

MM, my understanding is that anything goes as long as it is based off of the Boilerplate in you picture. I plan on changing the arms, legs, feet, body and head to name a few things :D

YES !!!!!!!!!! Gramps ! Shall we say BP variations, Cousins, Friends,nemesis, pets and transportation devices...So basically, you can build or paint anything . All I ask is try to keep the patina of the era .So we have the dirty Dozen ! Not bad. The official start date is 1 Jan 2011 . The Dirty Dozen are,,

#1 Fineas J. Whoopie

#2 Jim K

#3 Spark

#4 Andyman

#5 Amoebaboy

#6 Milwaukeemachineman

#7 Phil

#8 Dr Smith ?

#9 Grandpa

#10 Tinman

#11 Robobob

#12 Eagle

Anyone else want's add their name to the list ?

Now it is decision time....do I follow Andy's lead and build it from junk or machine everything out of aluminum and brass? I'm going to stay away from plastic on this one :rolleyes:

I remember now, your entire DS project imploded due to cheap Chinese DS plastic . I think mine is going to be scratch built. As much metal and glass as possible. Welded,riveted,soldered,bolted or screwed. I'm not sure what yet. This is the hard part for me. The design phase. I have little if any imagination...............The build part is easier. Problem solving is my strong point. Good luck !

Well Thank God I Design, That's the easy part for me at least and BP is such an easy design to start from and I am going to make variations of BP but not the actual machine boiler interior just the outer design of the robot in various shapes OK?

mmm

Yes Mike you can build a modified version, a cousin , an uncle, sister, his mode of transportation,rocket ship, Blimp, Airplane, his favorite gun or worse enemy.

I just received a letter from the creator of Boilerplate.

Hi Mark,

This sounds like a lot of fun, I'm quite honored. Were I not on a deadline for the follow up book to Boilerplate I might have joined in myself!

You and your fellow enthusiasts have my blessing. I'm very interested to see the results, and will post them on the Boilerplate site.

A dog companion for Boilerplate is a great idea. BP's nemesis Panzerman was seen in the book. I'm attaching the image here.

Best of luck!

Paul

Okay, If I understand this properly, it can be in any medium, including model construction, CGI or flat art, and is obviously expanded now to include variations of Boilerplate, and could include Baby Boilerplate (something the boilerplate guy should make for the ladies - I bet it would be a hit), his relatives, pets, transportation, spaceship, etc, as long as it has the same Steampunk era look, sense of construction and general surface texture appearance. If I've got this straight and those are the rules, you bet, I'm in. :)

I have an unrelated question. When I initially came here I was basically just looking for info on my signed B-9 and called myself Dr. Smith just to make a name. But now I'm really into the place and look forward to opening the site up every morning. Not wanting to live my Alphadrome life forever in the image of a sniveling, conniving coward, is there any way I - or the owner - could change my screen name to "Metropolis"? (Maria is the robot but I'm a guy, and Rotwang sounds like an anatomical part). Thanks. Otherwise, I'll sit and lament my foolish beginning here. Oh, the pain. The pain.

Dr.Smith,,,,,,Brian is the man to ask.This is his site so he will show you a way of changing your name,,,but while I'm on the subject what's wrong with Dr.Smith,,,I think is is quite distinguished.There is on one other doc I can think of and that's dratomic.

The avatar is good aswell.Is it from Doctor Who?

I agree with Dr Smith as a fine name ! One that should have been gobbled up long ago. However the Avatar is kind of spooky .. Reminds me of Creature from the black lagoon. But,then again that's your choice and can be changed at any time. ;)

You guys make it tough. Now Sparkbot, recalling the tin toys with the little friction spark elements inside so sparks come out of a gun or mouth or eyes, is a great name!

Sparkbot, yes the Avatar is from the Dr Who episode from the mid-1970's, The Robots Of Death, in which a deranged scientist managed to override the first law of robotics on a desolate mining freighter with a tiny human crew, who, one-by-one, are murdered by the singular errant robot in a ship otherwise crawling and operated by them. Real Agatha Christy in space stuff. Terrific.

Eagle, it's interesting that you call the robot face creepy, because that is what the Doctor's Companion called them. In fact, once the murders begin one of the crew has a nervous breakdown because he was secretly suffering from - are you ready? - Robophobia, an (imaginary) rare mental condition that undermines sanity because the victim cannot adjust to humanoid figures who give off no subliminal, biological-based body language signals (now, is THAT a friggin brilliant concept or what?! The new show is pretty to look at, but for about 5 years Dr Who in the 1970's was, IMHO, the best-written genre TV show the world has ever seen, surpassing even the best of star trek TOS. Too bad the production values on Dr Who back then were more like Captain kangaroo, though it does have its charm)

Thanks, guys. If the avatar creeps out Eagle, I think I'll keep it. ;)

But I wish I could change the name. :( I just went for the association with the B-9 robot which was my interest at the time. Let someone who loves it have it.

You can ask Brian to change it or, close the account and create a new one. It's been told there are already members with multiple ID's . Maybe not anymore, but at one time.

Well done Metropolis,,,,,,,Dr.Smith no more.

And Mark while we are on the subject of Creepy masks,Doctor Who knows how to do it with style ,,take a look at these sinister D W clockwork robots.

post-540-071451400 1291852167.jpg post-540-000525200 1291852211.jpg

Well done Metropolis,,,,,,,Dr.Smith no more.

And Mark while we are on the subject of Creepy masks,Doctor Who knows how to do it with style ,,take a look at these sinister D W clockwork robots.

post-540-071451400 1291852167.jpg post-540-000525200 1291852211.jpg

Sparkbot,

I can't take any credit - it's apparent that Brian, who was inventive enough to think up and put this site together, must have an interociter. Thanks, Brian. Now anyone who really wants to be Dr. Smith can indulge, and I'm happy with a name that better suits my sensibilities and interests. Thanks.

What episode was the clockwork robots from, Sparkbot, and who was the Doctor in that? They look familiar but I have a feeling it may have been a Doctor I wasn't into. Dr. Who has had enough robots to have their own website, actually. There was briefly even a companion Robot. Then the episode Robot and also the great "Jathro" from Trial Of A Time Lord. I forget how to html code pics on a message board, otherwise I'd show samples. Great designs on most of Dr. Who's robots. Just great stuff.

Archived