Winter Competition

Eagle

So as it stands early in the game Boiler plate pulls ahead . A few questions. Can we do this from a legal stand point ? I'm sure there are copyrights. On the other hand it's free advertising of the brand. Would you prefer to modify the robot enough to keep it a close cousin ? There are aspects of the design that could be improved upon an still keep it Victorian Steampunk. A little more complex and robust in design. Any of you artist out there want to modify the design? A few sketches. More detail such as a more robotic head and a better view of the power module [boiler]. It's going to be a busy weekend but I think we are on to something. I like what MMM said about originality . Maybe this should be all in house. We have enough artist here that could take the boilerplate and morph it into something they would like us to build. Karl are you out there ? Ken ?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few questions. Can we do this from a legal stand point ? I'm sure there are copyrights. On the other hand it's free advertising of the brand.

Mark,

If Boilerplate is decided, why don't we send an email to the author via the website and ask what he thinks? I'm sure he wouldn't mind Alphadrome doing something like this. Looking at the Boilerplate site, it looks like fans send stuff in all the time.

Well this is panning out better than expected ! Thank You for your participation ! Dang, with RoboBob engaged, the hurdle just got raised a little higher !

I said I was in when I misunderstood the competition idea that it would be for original models or art. If it's doing a copy or homage to something already done, then I'm not into it personally, but I'll cheer loudly at the results.

$10,000.00 for a foot tall Boilerplate model?! I'd rather pony up an extra 5 grand and get a full size talking B-9!

I got another question (go figure). :blush: The boilerplate robot that everyone is talking about, is he the same one as in the Houdini movies? Or is there another robot with the same name?

JimK

post-769-039187800 1291474624.jpg

Eagle,

I guess I'm getting dim. I'm not offering a submission on the current theme - because it appears the theme is going to be to recreate some already established robot. What i did suggest before that didn't really catch on was an idea to create something new that would span the ages, so to speak: contain clearly recognizable elements - or style elements - from robots from the 30's (for example) through the 60's. That would be original concept robot. If it's original stuff, I'm in. if it's re-creating something already done in an other medium (and I can understand the appeal of that, don't misunderstand) then I'm not in - just not into it. I just didn't want to say "I'm in" and then have to explain why I'm not 2 months later.

I'm talking too much. Watch me now while I shut up.

Amazing, isn't it?

Original concept would by far be the best. That option was never excluded.

Here Jim a link. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68384

I like the idea of using the Boilerplate concept for some of the design elements, you don't have to copy it. Add you own design elements to it, such as some of the features of the Houdini robot. Use cardboard, plastic, wood, metal or what ever you want to use to build it. It looks like that many of the members are over thinking the concept of the project. It's all for fun with NO judging or prizes :lol: So clean off the workbench for a fun project.

Original concept would by far be the best. That option was never excluded.

Here Jim a link. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68384

Well, I'm in on an original concept. just point us in the right direction - We need a theme. ;)

I still think there should be a page for the winners, with a graphic denoting grand prize, first, second, etc. If you want, I'll do the graphics. A few hours work only and it'll be fun (so i guess then I should stay out of the contest - I'll have done my part. ;) I'm a professional so I'll make sure they're solid and attractive.

I really like your site, Eagle (Is it yours?). Big time.

Well, I'm in on an original concept. just point us in the right direction - We need a theme. ;)

I still think there should be a page for the winners, with a graphic denoting grand prize, first, second, etc. If you want, I'll do the graphics. A few hours work only and it'll be fun (so i guess then I should stay out of the contest - I'll have done my part. ;) I'm a professional so I'll make sure they're solid and attractive.

I really like your site, Eagle (Is it yours?). Big time.

I think you are missing the concept. Mark is just trying to spark some interest in getting more members to build "something" as a group, like the Dollar Store Build of a few years ago. It was a lot of fun and prizes were not given, the sharing of the finished projects was more than enough recognition. The idea of selecting a design is a great idea so individuals can show what they would like the finished design to look like. The Boilerplate is a great choice because it has some simplistic design elements that can easily be changed, altered or added to and built easily without a lot of tools using a multitude of different building materials.

If you feel like building something original, by all means please do so, we all look forward to some postings of your work. If you do some searching on this forum you will find a ton of original designs that have been built by various members.

I think you are missing the concept. Mark is just trying to spark some interest in getting more members to build "something" as a group, like the Dollar Store Build of a few years ago. It was a lot of fun and prizes were not given, the sharing of the finished projects was more than enough recognition. The idea of selecting a design is a great idea so individuals can show what they would like the finished design to look like. The Boilerplate is a great choice because it has some simplistic design elements that can easily be changed, altered or added to and built easily without a lot of tools using a multitude of different building materials.

If you feel like building something original, by all means please do so, we all look forward to some postings of your work. If you do some searching on this forum you will find a ton of original designs that have been built by various members.

Okay. Got it. Thanks.

So Mark.

As it is your original idea you have the last say.But as I see it will be a model of a robot 'inspired' by Boilerplate.

It can be built in any size and out of any material..

Closing date the end of February 2011.

Is this official?

Archived