Winter Competition

Eagle

So how does this work? Do we make anything we want to make and submit it for judging? Do we all make the same thing, only do it our way? Does the design need to be original or can it be "borrowed" from what has already been made? Not that I am confused or anything. I just need to be on the right page. Do you ever get that feeling that you are behind everyone else? :unsure:

JimK

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me in. I'm not an expert collector, but I do have some significant CGI experience. here's an idea; A TimeBot, that combines distinctive characteristics from toy robots, in this case, from the 1930's - thorough the mid-60's? You know, something like a tin toy robot with strait legs and seams and a glass bubble helmet, but with some zeroid lines. Or a Robby-style robot with very large pressure-cooker dials on the chest and a visor with a plastic boy face - with red hair and freckles - looking out. In other words, mix and match the features of different decades and try to come up with something truly new. Just a suggestion.

I'm beginning to dislike my onscreen name here. Anyone object if I change it to Metropolis?

OK one more time. WE CHOOSE one item maybe two. Then everyone creates that item in whatever medium they choose . Wood, metal,composite,oil painting,CG,Clay,Plaster,Popsicle sticks whatever. There is no judging. Suggestions ????? How about Boilerplate ? Has anyone ever actually built this guy ? You could do your own version. Pilot, soldier,mad scientist,computer geek,bowler,fisherman,Santa !! ;) PS good idea Dr Smith,,,,but I'm not diggin the plastic boy face....spooky .post-545-025749500 1291398049.jpg

Mark I was actually going to PM you on the subject matter,,,,,,,The thing is firstly let me say thanks for coming up with the idea,I like the competion aspect ,going back to the DScomp it was a great time,,also not so long ago when John got us participating in his Alphabot game project.These are the things that make alphadrome the fantastic place it is.

Right that was all the positives,the negative for me with this idea is I don't think I/we will all agree with what to build,,we are all brimming with ideas but what is someones idea of a great project might not do it for another member.

You have got me all fired up for building ,but in my case I have decided I want to put all my efforts into building a Target Earth robot.I've got a feeling this robot won't be everyone elses robot of choice ,so with the competition idea as it stands ,by me 'going it alone'with the Target Earth idea I wouldn't really be part of it.

The only other option is to make it an 'Open' building competition with the judging to be done in say February with honours/prizes given to the best model and maybe something for the person who made the biggest effort .

See what you and the rest think,,,,,,,,but for me it's

Target Earth. [ P.S I think John Rigg has made large scale versions of this robot]

resin kit and a still from the film

post-540-046095900 1291400719.jpg post-540-019277100 1291400770.jpg

film poster.

post-540-075570700 1291400838.jpg

OK one more time. WE CHOOSE one item maybe two. Then everyone creates that item in whatever medium they choose . Wood, metal,composite,oil painting,CG,Clay,Plaster,Popsicle sticks whatever. There is no judging. Suggestions ????? How about Boilerplate ? Has anyone ever actually built this guy ? You could do your own version. Pilot, soldier,mad scientist,computer geek,bowler,fisherman,Santa !! ;) PS good idea Dr Smith,,,,but I'm not diggin the plastic boy face....spooky .post-545-025749500 1291398049.jpg

WE CHOOSE? How about just any robot anyone cares to make, or do you want it to be a specific one robot that all make the same one (Which there are too many whom will choose what they like) it won't all be the same this way as each individual is particular to his kind of robot anyway as long as it's a robot, after all it's a competition to build isn't it? And what about those that like Ray Guns and the others that like Rockets or Saucers? Rather it can be a "Winter Builder Competition" just something any and all can or want to build and show it off here, Judges being designated "Master's" on the board? Whatta ya think? I'll wait to hear from the masses!

mmm

This needs a little structure.

Can this site put up polls? You know, poll the members on this or that. There could, maybe should, be a progressive series of polls by the admins.

POLL 1: right away, to let members vote on the structure of the competition. Something like this:

What subject should the winter competition be?

A. material-theme based (wood, diamond, etc)

B. Period based theme, mixing and matching design aspects from various eras

C.Anything goes

Then, once the entries are all in by the deadline, let people vote in some form of first round elimination (Poll 2), then second (Poll 3), then the final contenders (Poll 4).

That way it's all and nicely structured in a way fair to everyone. Sound like a plan?

(sorry for sounding pushy as a newbie, but this would be a fast and easy way to get it rolling and wrap it up with a maximum of fun and a minimum of headache. ;)

A great way to advertise the site would also be to announce this competition on different sites. Lots 'o robot people.

EDIT: The prizes are recognition forever on the site. The level could be based on the Zeroids. The Blue one could be 3rd prize. The brown one second. The sliver appropriately 1st. And the grand prize could be a gold Maria from Metroplis posed as an Academy Award.

Or perhaps grand prize Gold maria, 1st Robby, 2nd B-9, 3rd - ? and Kronos as an honorable mention. ;)

The rules stay as stated in the original post. The idea here is to select a subject and recreate it in numerous mediums .Why is this so difficult to convey? It's a Theme. It's simple, so lets not complicate things.Keep throwing out ideas but remember,,it has to be something that will look as good on Canvas as it would in sheet metal. I would prefer no judging other than mutual kudos ,but that is up to you guys. Or as Morbius would put it. :Ppost-545-019113600 1291407900.jpg

Mark, you can't have a competition by committee. One person needs to make the rules and pick the subject to be built, period. Otherwise we'll all be banging our opinions against a wall.

Your right Andy,,,,as usual. Alright, you guys present your ideas of which robots, I'll do the same and then I'll narrow it down to a few selections . If we had more participants we could open up the field a little to maybe 3 bots. As it stands now,2 max. I'll try to choose something that is within the ability of all participants , aesthetically pleasing, while still challenging . That's going to be a tough row to hoe .

Brian,could you please move this subject to another area so we don't hog this part of the forum ?

The rules stay as stated in the original post. The idea here is to select a subject and recreate it in numerous mediums .Why is this so difficult to convey? It's a Theme. It's simple, so lets not complicate things.Keep throwing out ideas but remember,,it has to be something that will look as good on Canvas as it would in sheet metal. I would prefer no judging other than mutual kudos ,but that is up to you guys. Or as Morbius would put it. :Ppost-545-019113600 1291407900.jpg

OK I am on the right page now. :D As for suggestions here are a few that I have been wanting an excuse to build.

JimK

post-769-055501500 1291410096.jpg

post-769-076658000 1291410117.jpg

post-769-097126800 1291410143.jpg

OK, So we want to get down to only a couple of Robots which we vote on! Got it!

I like that Mexican Robot Jim and I also like that Boiler Robot suggested by Mark, even Sparks mention of the Target Robot but mine would have to be something not built yet?

Maybe the Fantastic Story Robot? and it's my suggestion for the robot to build or try.

post-441-021780200 1291420499.jpg

This is HARDER than I thought it would be. I'm with you Gramps . Has there ever been one really built ? Even a model. Ozzie told me one time that none of it was real. I think it meets the criteria perfect. I'll ask the next question with fingers crossed,,,Are you in ? I see there are some models.

http://www.bigredhair.com/boilerplate/bp.buy.html

post-545-097724100 1291424637.jpg

O.K,,,,,Target Earth will have to be my own private project,but for the competition I'm with Boilerplate.There are models of him but they cost the Earth,,,I think Ozzie has one.

BTW did you know I already have an Andybot version,,,,,,STOKE.

:)

post-540-046927400 1291429790.jpg

I'm with ya Mark and standing by for whats decided. I'm a big fan of the Boilerplate robot too!

Being a hockey fan we should call this the "Alphadrome Winter Classic" :D

Archived