Space Jigsaws

ANZinSpace

Super Heroes of Space Jigsaws

I saw these on EBAY some time ago and snapped them up. Not sure where they're from or who made them - both of the boxes are missing their top flap and there's no markings on the jigsaws themselves.

The spacemen appear to be the same as in the Rip Foster jigsaws produced by Whitman - they both have the same style of clothing and ray guns. Interestingly the spaceship they're attacking is similar to the ones in the Rex Mars Planet Patrol jigsaws. So this probably put's these jigsaws some where around the early to mid fifties.

What I like about these are things like the rocket packs with an armoured skirt possibly to redirect the rocket exhaust away from the wearer so they don't singe their backsides. Also the fact that the only real protection from space are their helmets - I mean the gloves they wear have cuffs??

There is another jigsaw in the series called "Exploring the moon" - given the theme shown in these two I keep trying to imagine how you'd explore something while shooting it up.

One question - does anyone know of a good way to display jigsaws?

post-1110-1268921456.jpg post-1110-1268921463.jpg

post-1110-1268921473.jpg

post-1110-1268921481.jpg

Archived