1971 - Radar Scope Space Scout by Horikawa*

Joe K.

See: (1971-72 Victory merchandise toy catalog)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3188195702&rd=1

And this photo, specifically:

http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/ac/5a/98_1.JPG

Here's what I see on this page:

Left hand column -

Radar-Scope Space Scout (Horikawa) new TIMELINE find.

Perhaps Machine Robot (Horikawa) ???

Mr. Hustler (Horikawa) previously dated to 1970

Middle column -

Robotank Z (Nomura) This is the metal eyed variation. See Future Toys, page 52, item #59. I believe that the "plastic eyed/coil springs in head" version was produced first and that this version (metal eyes and plastic dome in head" version came later.

Perhaps Rotate-O-Matic Super Astronaut (Horikawa) ???

Right hand column -

??? Anybody recognize this one?

New Space Explorer (Horikawa) This sighting moves the date back a year, from 1972 to 1971.

Mr. Zerox (Horikawa) has a current TIMELINE date of 1965. This 1971 sighting would indicate that Mr. Z was in production for a very long time.

Joe-

This is what I'm seeing-

Left hand column, middle- Horikawa "New fighting robot" I beleive this one is also called "Thunder", see Kitahara tin toy dreams Pg. 28 image #42. (I hope you don't mind me using your image Robotnut).

post-4-1082253845.gif

FJW -

Yes, I believe you're correct on both counts!

I was flipping through the Kitahara book this afternoon during a lull in the Museum and spotted, what Mr. Kitahara calls, the Thunder robots (page 28, item #42). That is definitely a New Fighting Robot in this catalog.

I, too, thought that the other one was a Horikawa Space Fighter (is there a box photo anywhere to confirm this name?) but I couldn't understand that dark horizontal bar running across the lower portion of the chest doors in this blurry, grainy photo. Perhaps it's just a lighting effect.

Here's a slightly sharper picture from the seller, it looks like the space fighter's doors are open. That would explain the dark band.

post-4-1082338996.gif

Here is another page from the same catalog (1971-72 Victory merchandise toy catalog) that the seller sent to me after a request for a clearer shot of the robot page.

post-4-1082340973.gif

• 6 months later...

I don't know how I missed this post of yours, Don, but it is a wealth of new TIMELINE information for Space Toy dates.

Let's take these in vertical columns...

Left hand column -

#1 - Apollo LM by Yonezawa. See Morita, page 146. There's also a photo in Future Toys, page 158, item #259 with a sightly different box.

#2 - Space Ship X-7 by Masudaya. See Morita, page 184. This saucer has a very distintive litho. I believe the box pictured with this toy is not correct. It appears to be the same box shown in Future Toys, page 197, item #359. Note that here, both the toy and the box bear the same name: Space Explorer Ship X-7.

#3 - USAF-Gemini X-5 by Masudaya. See Future Toys, page 205, item #386.

Middle column -

#4 - Space Frontier by Yoshino. This toy has already been sighted in a 1970 Lewis Galoob Toy Catalog and as with that sighting it is impossible to determine if it is the "Saturn 5" or the "Apollo 11" variation.

#5 - Super Space Capsule by Horikawa. See Vintage Toys, page 118.

#6 - Moon Traveller Apollo-Z by Nomura. This toy has also been previously sighted in the 1970 Lewis Galoob Toy Catalog.

Right hand column -

#7 - Apollo-11 American Eagle Lunar Module by Daishin Kogyo. See Vintage Toys, page 105 and/or Yesterday's Toys (Kitahara), page 63, item #66. In both these books, the legs on the module have three cut-out areas per strut, and match the box illustration exactly. There is another photo of this toy and it's box in Future Toys, page 158, item #260. Perhaps this was a slightly later produced variation, modified to give extra strength to the legs to support the extra weight of the toy. To put this Apollo-11 Lunar Module and the Apollo LM toy in perspective, see Kitahara-Tin Toy Dreams, page 76, items #170 & 171.

NOTE: This toy has since been moved back two years, to 1969, based on this Gambles Aldens Christmas 1969 catalog sighting:

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.php?showtopic=5534

#8 - King Flying Saucer by Yoshiya. See Vintage Toys, page 155.

#9 - Space Guard MS-61 by Masudaya. See Future Toys, page 159, item #262.

Seven new additions to the TIMELINE. Nice goin', F.J.W.!!!

• 9 years later...

The same catalog recently sold on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-TOY-CATALOG-DEALERS-BOOK-PRICE-LIST-BATMOBILE-TIN-VINTAGE-TOYS-CARNIVAL-/251474288954?pt=Classic_Toys_US&hash=item3a8d09213a&nma=true&si=NTudGCwwZusQVJ2OIFGADJLGEsM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here are some additional photos:

The dated catalog cover

post-16-0-61684900-1394984892_thumb.jpg

Upper portion of interior page with ray guns

post-16-0-88318300-1394985001_thumb.jpg

Wholesale prices for the robots pictured

post-16-0-81158800-1394985087_thumb.jpg

Archived