How To Restore / Conserve This 30's Buck Rogers Helmet?

Tyler H

Hi All!

I just got this 30s Daisy buck Rogers helmet.. Its in pretty good shape but the material is old and feeling like it is a bit brittle...

Note, this is NOT the leather one, this is the "flocked" canvas one...

If it was leather, I could easily condition it so it would be stronger, but I have no idea what to "condition" flocked canvas with....

Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks,

Tyler

post-1224-018322000 1285560507.jpg

Tyler, first let me congratulate you on the Buck helmet purchase. This post probably would have gotten more attention in the tips and tricks area. Don't ever use leather softener for this material because it has an oily base. Some of the tricks involve using steam, a diluted vinegar, etc. The surface should be cleaned with a soft toothbrush or other soft brushes. here's one link to the procedures. This helmet looks pretty good compared to some. You may want to just lightly brush it and think about it for awhile.

suede cloth link

Real nice example, Tyler.

Honestly, it might be better to just leave it alone. Since you're not looking to wear it or play with it in any way, it should be okay as-is. Unless it's actively deteriorating before you eyes, of course... But you don't want to inadvertently do something that worsens the damage.

The best thing to do is leave it alone. Keep it away from mosture and UV light and dust. It will be better off than if you try to chemicaly treat it in any way.

Was just thinking, Tyler. There was a guy on the RS boards who works in a museum an seems to know a lot about archival storage and preservation. He posted in one of the threads on figure discoloration. I'll see if I can dig up a link to the thread -- maybe you can pm him for any info he might have on cloth preservation/restoration.

(though I still think you're better off leaving it be.)

Tyler, as other have said if it doesn't even need lightly brush it's probably better to leave it alone. To keep dust off this type of item I usually get one of the cheap clear display cases at one of the craft chains like A C Moore. The football display case might be large enough. It's a 10" cube that will keep dust and moisture off it.

Archived