Horikawa Space Giant: Repair Tips Needed For Horikawa Space Giant

coyotesareus

I have opened up the top end of a first generation Horikawa Space Giant and started loosening everything up. He was completely locked up. I've got the guns working and the top half rotates pretty reliably. It still hangs up a bit, but loosens up more with each run.

Now I have to deal with the arthritic leg movement mechanism. With a little assistance the legs will move when the torso is pointed one direction, but not the other. I can hear the mechanism trying to work; it sounds as if a clutch plate of some sort isn't engaging all the way. Any tips on how to get things working would be greatly appreciated. Photos would be great if you have them.

Getting into the torso was easy. Tearing into the pelvis just isn't very obvious. Access tips, anyone? I've been lubing what I can with the legs moved to one end or another of their range of motion.

Last item: where can I get a grain of wheat red bulb for one side of the guns?

General comment: this sucker is loud! It is absolutely the loudest robot in my collection. I normally work on bots when the rest of the family is in bed, but the popping noise this one makes is just amazing.

This one belongs in tips and tricks, but thought I would share here, anyway. I also work on bikes and my favorite light lube for small moving bits is Shimano's HypoSpitt. This product is very handy for bot maintenance. It is a light weight lube designed to minimize dirt pickup and is in a handy pen shaped squeeze dispenser with a hypo needle on the end. This makes reaching tight spots inside bot bodies easy and precise. It's heavier than a cutting oil and thus far hasn't contributed to gears wearing faster than they should.

Thanks for your help!

• Brian.. changed the title to Horikawa Space Giant: Repair Tips Needed For Horikawa Space Giant

Archived