Rudy The Robot Fix

i just found my rudy from 1969. but it did not work. a black small bar fell out of him when i took it from the attic. so i picked up a parts rudy from ebay. the reversing bar was broke but intact, so i took pic,s as i took it apart.if any one need,s pic,s or rudy parts, i have almost a complete robot. i borrowed a leg and the spring on that bar part # 722-7. all rudy's parts have no's on them.any one know what kind of grease to use. mine had a red grease seeping out.maybe pool silicone grease?i'm also looking for the original instructions or a copy if anyone has them. i also found rudy,s box too.i came across another robot box in the attic, zeroid allien. no robot though.

Plasticon Man -

Welcome to Alphadrome!

I picked-up a Black/Orange Rudy (1970 version) at BotStock VI in Chicago last year. The reversing mechanism was "hinkey". Took it apart and tried for hours (O.K., DAYS) to figure out how to repair it. Never did figure it out. Any photos or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What color variation (parts) do you have for sale (as seen in the PRIVATE ADS sub-forum)?

Sorry, no original instructions came with my B-Vi purchase. The box was only 3/4 there!

Ok, heres what i found, first take off bumper bars. take off back. slide out battery tray, it should have #11 with it. theres a part #27 that looks like a master link(bike chain) thats usually broke.if not, it holds #'s 6 & 7 w/spring across them. If that's all good put it in robot. then slide in # 11. using a dental pic, lift spring up through # 11. 11 has a slot in, for the spring.i found springs at hardware store for $1.39.The dental pic lifts 5-6 strands of spring.put back of robot on, bar should snap fwd & back.I would oil motor also while its apart. I'll still send you photo's if you need them. My part's rudy is yellow body #722. It has a black battery case though.I'm looking into getting decals made. my rudy was in a hot - cold attic for 32 years. plastic is in great shape.It needed 1 leg.the parts bot did not come with battery door,but case is clean.I took off all decals except front of body, because they look so good.I picked up a bent needle nose at sears that works good for taking off wire bumpers. Let me know how it went for you.

• Brian.. changed the title to Rudy The Robot Fix
  • 1 year later...

Hello guys:

It been a long time. Just wanted to ask you about the Remco Rudy The Robot. What would be the best method to fix this robot when you have a problem with the feet getting caught on each other? I know this is a common problem with these over time. I tried something inside the robot, like a wire tie on each side. But no good when the robot is assembled. I see that these legs have small plastic pegs outside the robot. Wondering if these pegs ware out. Seems like they would spread the legs a little so they won't get caught. If you have an idea, please let me know. Thanks, Victor

On 1/17/2018 at 7:48 PM, toborthegreat said:

Hello guys:

It been a long time. Just wanted to ask you about the Remco Rudy The Robot. What would be the best method to fix this robot when you have a problem with the feet getting caught on each other? I know this is a common problem with these over time. I tried something inside the robot, like a wire tie on each side. But no good when the robot is assembled. I see that these legs have small plastic pegs outside the robot. Wondering if these pegs ware out. Seems like they would spread the legs a little so they won't get caught. If you have an idea, please let me know. Thanks, Victor

Hey Robodude!   Haven't you had a couple of these open in the last year or two?

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, Martian Gil said:

Hey Robodude!   Haven't you had a couple of these open in the last year or two?

Howdy Toborthegreat !! I have worked on 2 of these guys and you are absolutely right--those plastic pegs(about 1/2 inch above the feet) they  keep the legs from moving inward towards the body and then the feet tangle on themselves there are supposed to be one towards the front and one towards the back. I think you could cut a piece of plastic sprue and epoxy it in place to replace the worn out original pegs. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me here and I could send you some pictures of the feet and leg arrangement if you want-Thanks ! Rich(ROBODUDE)

• 4 weeks later...

I had good luck in fixing my Rudy, I have a few as parts if you need anything.  Both colors of body parts too. 

I have some extra feet and the internal parts too.  I also have a clean  battery box. 

Archived