New Nixe Tube Clock Bot

robothut

Thanks to Henks origional design and the new repro chief robots I was able to design my own version of the nixie clock bot. I made mine in a distressed copper finnish and used 6 russian end view nixie tubes.

Henks 2005 nixie clock robot can be seen here.

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.php?showtopic=3456

Here is a short You tube video of the new Nixie tube clock bot.

The clock can be set for 12 or 24 hour display and has 2 alarm modes as well. A 2 AAA battery back up for the clock time is provided and the set switchs are on the back. The clock runs on a external 9 volt power supply. The robot still has bump and go action and flashing eyes that run on 2 AA batterys .

post-7-012326700 1284133937.jpg

There is also a neon light in the head that lights when the nixie tubes are ON.

The hours are the top tubes and the minuts are just below. The seconds are in the two vent windows. No one uses second on a house clock these days unless they are bidding on Ebay anway.

post-7-012952700 1284134057.jpg

Learning all I could from Henks comments from his project I set out to make as much room in the body as possible. So I used the bump and go drive from a old R-1 robot as its alot lower in profile and I removed the 2 D cell battery box in favor of a new one that held 2 AA batterys for the bump and go drive and flashing lights in the head and 2 AAA batterys for the clock backup.

post-7-076482700 1284134337.jpg

I bought the nixie clock kit from a seller in the UK. The 6 nixie tubes have to have wires added to there tube pins to extend them to the driver board. The hard part of this is that each tube has 12 contact pins and there are 6 tubes. That is a bunch of wires!

post-7-042151000 1284134646.jpg

This picture shows the wires from the nixie tubes to the driver board. The second pixture shows how I sealed the wires with hot melt glue where they solder to the tubes and the circuit board. There is 170 volts DC driving those tubes but mainly I wanted to be sure that non of the wires would break off durring final assembly.

post-7-074376300 1284135025.jpg

post-7-045803200 1284135065.jpg

The distressed copper finnish was done in 4 steps. First is the primer coat, then a coat of hammer finnish. This gives the surface a texture. Then a coat of bright copper paint and finnaly a black wash to fill in the low parts of the paint effect. The non copper parts were done the same way only chrom paint was used instead of the copper paint.

post-7-061303000 1284135251.jpg

post-7-080779500 1284135303.jpg

More pictures.

The nixie clock kit after pounds to dollers was about $100 bucks and you still have to buy your own regulated power supply so thats another $15 bucks. Then add in the cost of the repro chief type robot and well its not a cheep conversion to do but it sure looks cool!

Here is a link to a page on the robot at my site as well.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/NixieClockBotPage.html

post-7-060579300 1284135439.jpg

post-7-011548100 1284135481.jpg

post-7-089779000 1284135531.jpg

post-7-054922500 1284135590.jpg

Great conversion. This robot looks tightly packed inside. Love the copper finish I wish MH would make a finish like this on a run of robots. The video turned out great. :)

You have a fantastic Nixe Tube Clock Robot.

Wow John, that is an amazing creation. I don't think conversion really applies to this one. You really packed a lot of wires and batteries into a really small space. Thumbs up on the copper finish too.

Well done, Mr. Rigg. I can appreciate the wiring job there. I once resoldered a connector on a pro camera cable for a friend. You have patience my friend.

Thanks Andy, back when I was young and I could see small things with out the aid of different glasses "oh those were the days" I used to build and repair audio and lighting cables for Rock bands , recording studios and stage shows, one of those military grade connectors would have twice as many wires too solder on to little pins all packed tightly together. So it could have been worse.

WOW - JOHN! JUST EXTRATERRESTIAL! I know the original NIXIEBOT, that Henk made. CLAUS is the happy owner of that one - and originally it was his idea. And Henk was crazy enough to agree to make that job for Claus / Hotbotz. Your NIXIEBOT has a very special appeal - I love them both! :wub:

Archived