Non Stop Copper Ding Bot

robothut

So what do you do if you have a junker gang bot shell from the Non stop robot? Put it up on ebay and hope to cheat some one out of a few grand, no, give it a new life. The shell in question had no motor, gear box or any of the bump and go drive, it also had no battery door or any of the battery box, The body had already been primer painted by some body and the rest of the parts had lots of dents dings , holes and rust. So after it sat in a box in my shop for over 1 1/2 years Ozzy and I came up with this plan for it. Ozzy had a lantern pencile sharpener that had a nice fake copper aged look to it and want to know if I could do a teatment like that on the gang bot project. Well this was what I was able to do. The robot has a bump and go drive from a junker fire truck toy that had a bell ringing set up so thats why I added the Ding bot to the name of the project. I added a buzzer as well that is controled by the switch that is part of the rear wheels of the gang bot and was origionaly used to flash the light in the head as the robot moved. I added a switch to the bump and go drive that makes the light in the head flash when ever the robot changes direction now. The lantern is lit with a amber light and the lower chest is lit. The main chest display I built up from junk box parts. I think the gear box was from a repro Lantern robot. It has 5 rotating gears and a spinning turbine, a smoker and moveing bellows arm assembly.

Here is a video of the robot on the work bench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqXfuCYfukU

Here is a video of the robot running around the floor. Well by the time I go to this video shot the batterys were kind of worn out but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5D3r-tymwY

Here is a link to a page on my web site about the build.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/NonStopDingBotPage.html

post-7-1282340198.jpg

post-7-1282341011.jpg

post-7-1282341314.jpg

These pictures show the new battery box and door being put in the back of the body and the new bump and go drive unit with bell.

post-7-1282341146.jpg

post-7-1282341181.jpg

post-7-1282341211.jpg

I love COPPER-BOTS John. Wonderful as always, this one is spooky, I can see him cavorting in a cemetery scene....The lantern is a nice effect. :D

Wonder why there were (no) any?? classic copper robot toys, I recall when painting model kits with copper or silver paint it seemed to never dry.

Michael, I guess you and I are on the same wavelength. I was going to suggest that John was 2 months ahead on this project. He has a lot of personality, as do a lot of John's bots. John never gets in a groove with his treatments. That's a good thing. We can always expect the unexpected. Nice job, John.

Excellent John

We kicked this project around forever it seems.

I was looking for a more turn of the century industrial age look

so asked the master to avoid using plastic gears to have a more

mechanical feel Vs a toy feel, which John did an outstanding job capturing

I can see this guy leading coal miners into the depths lighting the way with his lantern.

Anyone wants a crack at creating some cool box art for this & a few other customs

shoot me an email & price

Nice !! :)

Bob if you see this shoot me an email @ ozzies@optonline.net

have a question for you

An intersting story on this robot. I wanted to try a Copperish Radicon Box art style

since the guts were missing so I picked up a radicon bus & shot it over to John

who told me a) it wouldn't work b) the bus itself was broken

Around the same time I saw the futurliner on ebay & that's when the whole idea

of a Robot futurliner popped into my head & that project was born from an ill fated

attempt at a radicon project for this particular gang shell

So while this robot took about 2 years the bus was like dreamed up in a day

Archived