Radicon Futurliner Conversion / Repair

robothut

I am working on a project for Ozzy. basicly repairing "the repairing part can be read here http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.php?showtopic=10622 " a radicon bus and then modifying it to look a bit like the GM Futurliner with moving robot riders inside. A big project that has taken alot of time so far and still has alot of work to be done. I do not have a before picture of the radicon bus but I think you all know what they look like if not there is one in the tips and tricks section where I talk about repairing them as well. The bigest problem for me is not the sculpting of the new body parts but more the painting of the finnished body. There are 4 different colors and trying to mask off the body for these different spray jobs turned out to be impossible. In the ned I have been hand painting the bus, I hate hand painting as I suck at it, but there seems to be no other way to go and in the end it will look good I think.

DSC07369.jpgDSC07372.jpg

post-7-1281569622.jpg

Now working in the black wrap around bumper and the silver side ribs and blue center stripe. The bus will be painted agian before its done, this is just the first coat. Also instaled is the robot driver and 3 lights across the top and 3 head lights in the grill. I plan to add a R B to the grill area above the 3 head lights as well. R B could be Radicon Bus or Robot Bus.

post-7-1281569861.jpg

post-7-1281569896.jpgDSC07379.jpgDSC07380.jpg

The inside of a radicon buss below the window line is quite full so when I add the animated riders I have to be very carful to design it so they will fit . So here you can see the aluminum frame with robot heads and modified servo / linkage to make the head turn from the side "looking out" to facing forward.

Here is a link to a short You Tube video of the head assembly in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZcoC9e6-dc

post-7-1281570211.jpg

post-7-1281570244.jpg

post-7-1281570288.jpgDSC07386.jpgDSC07387.jpgDSC07389.jpg

Here are the heads with the linkage arms installed. All those bodys may lead to some new conversions as well! Oz had asked that I just used the windup robots for there heads but I liked the way the non windup bots heads looked as well so there will be a nice mix of bots as riders in this bus. The bodys are laying on Ozzys master drawing. I always try to follow his drawing but some times I just think I have a better idea and go with it or the toy will not quite follow the drawing plan so changes must be made.

post-7-1281570412.jpg

post-7-1281570454.jpgDSC07396.jpgDSC07397.jpg

What an OUTSTANDING Job there John! Only you could have made a thing of beauty out of nothing, Well Done!

MMM

Looks awesome !!

Those poor little robots

I'd have nightmares they were gushing fluids & grinding gears

when they went to the guillotine :o

I hope u can bring those little pups back to life !!

Great job as always John , you nail every challenge , unbeliveable !!

Can't wait to see it all complete

great work John, a true work of art.

try a good few coats gloss lacquer its guaranteed to make any hand painted job look better

Archived