Ovaltine Super International Race Thru Space, australia

ANZinSpace

Sometime ago I found a series of ads for a space game premium from Ovaltine dated June 1969 in the Aussie newspaper the Sydney Morning Herald. I never really expected to find one of these given it's age and the likely quality of the materials used. However, as happens sometimes I actually did find one and won it at auction (along with 4 other non-space games).

The game board is of the same quality and thickness of cardboard as the box is and the counters are ones I've seen before in games like Ludo and Trouble. The OVO space information cards, OVO space hazard cards and the OVO space station cards are all made from a thin pink cardstock. There's no indication of who or where it was made so at this stage I'm going with Australian made. While the quality of materials is probably average and the box lid's been scribbled on the rest is in very good condition so I'm glad about that.

I really love the cheesy graphics particularly the two characters speech bubbles on the front. I also like the fact that they included "educational" information regarding the planets and space though some of it might be a little shy of the mark.

post-1110-1281336618.jpg

post-1110-1281336838.jpg

post-1110-1281336651.jpg post-1110-1281336643.jpg

post-1110-1281336629.jpg

...I really love the cheesy graphics particularly the two characters speech bubbles on the front...

Love it too, the colours, the shape of the figures, the type of font.

Oh man :unsure: those colours: like a trip :blink: :D

Both the figures are very typical for that time. I remember some comic magazines with related drawings.

And the Beatles movie "Yellow submarine" has similarities too.

Note the conversation between the twosome!

She: It´s got everything

He: And space eggs too! :P

• Brian.. changed the title to Ovaltine Super International Race Thru Space, australia

Archived