Duro Flying Saucer

Tinplate6

As with fellow 'Dromer; Fineas J Whoopie, I am very fond of flying saucers, however, my collection is much more pedestrian :blush: . A big score for me is this excellent example of the Flying Saucer bank by Duro mfg..

post-656-1280711738.jpg

I have been chasing this one down for a few years at least, but I could rarely afford one in good condition with the plastic dome intact. As is often the case, I'm surprised by its small size, about 5 inches across, it looks like it should be much bigger. :huh:

post-656-1280711773.jpg

These diecast space action banks were a Duro staple throughout the 50's, this one is my favorite. The design is beauty in motion, just what you'd expect a saucer to look like, well, in the 50's anyway. You can set the "planet selector" to whatever world you wish to explore, then drop in your coin and press the release. The coin zooms around the perimeter of the ship (powering its engines, no doubt), helping the pilot get to his goal, and the young investor to get to theirs. I really like the detailed write-up under the ship, which explains that the accuracy of this design was based on actual sightings...really? How cool is that? :lol:

post-656-1280711806.jpg

I can't image another example in better condition existing. Wow!

Geeze Fineas...really? :huh: Wow, thanks for the compliment, I like it even more now. ^_^

Absolutely. I can't see one single flaw! This really is a great 1950's saucer design and I guess the reason I haven't bought one yet is the fear that it'll start a whole new area of collecting. I could spend a pretty Penny putting together all the great 50's space banks.

this one has something special, the color, the shape, the symbols, I do not know is just great !

congratulations !

Yeah, when you think of 50's saucers, this is pretty much what comes to mind. However, you're correct Fineas, I find myself eyeing the other Duro banks now...egads! :rolleyes:

B) Cool 50s design.

BTW: What´s the function - I mean where to put in the coins and where do they come out without using a hammer. :huh:

B) Cool 50s design.

BTW: What´s the function - I mean where to put in the coins and where do they come out without using a hammer. :huh:

Well Blech, unfortunately I didn't take a shot of that side of the ship :rolleyes: . However, on the upper right rim of the ship, just out of view in the photo, is the coin slot. Under the "globe" base, is a trap door that takes a key to open. I don't have the key, so I guess it's sealed forever. :mellow: Honestly, it doesn't hold much, unless the only coins you use are silver dollars. :lol:

• 4 years later...

Archived