New Robby Drawing...update With One For John...even Darker

kennetzel

Okay, as promised, here is my updated Robby the Robot. I drew it so the body is grouped seperately from the chest plate so I can alter them to be Robby, the Robotoid or the Prison Guard. And here is a second one sans the highlights and made darker as per John's request. Let's hope I got it right this time. I think it looks better. Thanks for the tips.

post-125-1276618913.jpg

post-125-1276696312.jpg

Very nice, now give him the lived in look, you know the nice matt finnish that the actual robby had. I have never been a fan of the glossy look.

Well, I guess I can't please everybody...LOL. Okay John, when I get a chance, I'll buff him up. I like doing this kind of thing though like the Batmobile. It's a challenge to make the gloss look right, and it adds dimension to an image. When I did Marvin, it looked flat. But once I added the gloss points, it stood out, so when I see something that has a lot of sheen, I take it on as a challenge.

He looks great, Ken. I think that perhaps just cut back on the number of highlights on the lower body. the top looks great.

Beautiful work Ken! I've always seen Robby as something Morbius 'tinkered' together, kinda rough-looking all over (which apparently the suit IS) sort of looking like he hasn't been buffed ever,.

Ken its impossible to please anyone let alone everyone. But Thanks for dulling him back. Now since your in the mood to please us, how about making him a bit darker gun metal color the legs are almost gray on my monitor, the upper body is a darker gun metal color and does not look too bad.

Okay, John...LOL. I'll see what I can do. I just want you to know, the resourse pic I used had a LOT of light thrown on him. It really showed the anthricite finish on him and was responsible for all the highlights. It was like he was under a ton of spots. So that is why I made him so bright. With a lot of what I do, I actually try to see if I can mimic the same effects as in the photograph. This worked excellently in that Batmobile I posted in the off topic section. Apparently not so much for Robby. I will make the adjustments and repost. Stay tuned.

I may have to hold back comments do the limites space giver for Thread titles. Ken if it matched the source pic and you are happy with it never mind the ramblings of an old man. Good job as always.

Don't worry John. I may have came close to the original, but that doesn't mean it is right. You have built plenty of these. If any one knows these guys it's you. So I appreciate the suggestions. I goal in drawing these is not to copy but to do it right. I just drew it as I saw it because that is what was in front of me. I can always tweak it. As far as space for the thread...I take out the old ones and replace them, so it's no more memory than the first post, and surprisingly, these drawings take less space than photos I have posted. So I think I am okay. I always strive to improve, and if you know what to do to improve it, I am open to your opinion.

kennetzel, I hope you don't mind, but just for John, turned your Robby into a GIF with varying degrees of darkness. :D Just a bit of fun and in no way attempting to take anything away from your great artwork. :D

post-214-1276771283.gif

That's cool...I don't mind. But as you can see, the darker it gets, the less three dimensional it gets. Light really adds form...that's why I said earlier that when the highlights are added it really adds depth...Using my Marvin as an example.

WOW!!! Beautiful Robby drawing! Thanks for the great image, Ken! I'm not sure how in the world I missed this last week. I guess the lesson learned is to not ever skip checking in on Alphadrome every day! ;)

Archived