Leatherbot Begins

ANZinSpace

Like a lot of people to Alphadrome I've been inspired and intrigued by the home made bots and the custom builds. As part of that I kept wanting to produce my own but didn't as I kept flitting between ideas. Finally I've come up with an option that I think will be different and intriguing to my fellow Dromers.

Firstly I should explain besides being a space toy collector I'm also a medieval re-enactor. As part of that I've developed a strong interest in leatherwork - making armour, pouches, belts etc. Recently I've become interested in the plastic properties of leather - how it can be stretched, twisted and moulded particularly when wet. When I was thinking again about making a hand made robot I realised that making a leather robot would be something unique and different.

I decided that my starting point would be the head as this would determine the final size of the robot and would give me the inspiration for the rest. I also decided to combine the knights in armour look with the robot look. So the head is based on the "barrel" helm style of helmet worn in about the 13th Century. To make it I got an old fish oil capsule container and split it in half to form the basis of the helm/head. I cut eye slots out and used the cut out pieces to build a helmet nasal form. I also split the container in half as I planned to get my son to make an electronic circuit which will flash a series of red led's in sequence aka the Cylons or Kitt from Knightrider. He's recently developed an interest in electronics so he'll get to play with circuits and I'll get some flashy things for the robot.

This picture is of my basic concept for the robot I've gone with a morning-star and shield but I haven't decided if I'll make the shield removable or if the arms will move. I've also gone for a skirted robot as I figure this will be easier to mould in leather and to hide some sort of walking mechanism.

post-1110-1276604542.jpg

This picture is of my head forms in place and where I've started putting the leather on. I could have done it in one piece but decided to go for something that's close to the way they made these helms in period. I've used a couple of wooden wedges to keep the eye slots open as it dries.

post-1110-1276604779.jpg

This last picture is the leather head pieces drying. I'll wait until they're reasonably dry but still somewhat pliable so I can match the two head halves together and then I'll dry them in the oven (low temperature - what you would use to keep a dinner warm.)

post-1110-1276604766.jpg

Based on the size of the container I used the head will be 10cm (4 inches) tall I would assume all up this robot will be some 40cm (16 inches) tall.

I'll add new details as each part is done and completed.

I'm liking this idea !! Skirt bot ? I used to belong to the Ohio chapter of the [society for Creative Anachronism] SCA. We used to literally beat the crap out of one another. Nothing choreographed . Chainmail and leather take a lot of abuse. Still lots of broken collar bones. Would like to see your combat armor. Keep us posted on the progress.......

Should be interesting. There was a cable movie called Weird World a few years back that I did the lighting controls "sequencer" for the massive computer prop used and there was a leather robot prop built for the show.

I like this also. I do some leatherwork myself so I am really interested in how this one turns out. I for one never would have tought of this idea. Keep us posted.

JimK

Leather bot eh? Hmmm, shouldn't it be brandishing a whip then...? :lol: ;)

Ok, ok, it is a cool idea, and I'm looking forward to the finished article. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've cleaned up the head but I still need to dye it an even colour. I'm planning on keeping the robot in standard leather colours particularly as my wife reckons a "Medieval Steampunk" look for the robot would be good. I've gone differently with the lower skirt than I originally intended partly because my form was a little delicate (a pottery mixing bowl) and because I wanted a little more feature to the skirt. So I tried for a sweeping look to the skirt as well as something a little more organic.

I've also figured out what the shields device (design) will be - the blazon is "Azure an Alphabot rampant argent" - A silver Alphabot with arms raised on a blue background. The mid body is going to be interesting as it will be formed over a multi-piece form. This will allow me to put in moulded detail for dials and such as well as make it wider at the shoulders and narrower at the waist. I've also got to build in some reasonable transitions between head and body as well as skirt and body. This is the reason I've left this to last - it's going to stretch my skills in leather moulding to the max.

Head at the rough cleanup stage.

post-1110-1277478630.jpg

The skirt definitely not as I envisaged it but I think it will work

post-1110-1277478589.jpg

Combined the head and skirt are already 30cm tall (12 inches). So if I go with the tall mid body as intended It's going to probably top out at at 50cm (19 inches). Definitely plenty of room for electronics and other bits.

post-1110-1277478784.jpg

Archived