1961 Astro Base Patent Drawings

robothut

post-7-1275417182.jpgApplied for in 1961 and granted in 1963. The Time shows it as being sold in 1960. I loved the mechanics of the patent so saved it but thought some of you that collect space station stuff might like it as well and have a picture to post.

post-7-1275417182.jpg

post-7-1275435096.jpgpost-7-1275435143.jpgI will correct the title of the post . Also in the text part of the patent they talk about the remote scout car as a seperate patent US patent # 2,775,848 , see collum 3 line 45. Now The patent number is for Z Man the Brain that I have already posted to Alphadrome. Interesting that they should site Z man as the scout car for this toy. Now that Joe has refreshed my memory as to this toy I recall that it is show in action on the Toy Commercials of the 1960 tape tape that I have. The scout car in that commecial seems to use what I call a single motor dual drive system. Think of a standard bump and go drive set up but add 2 locking ratchets to the mechanics so that when power is supplied to the motor in 1 polarity the drive wheel will make the car move in what ever direction the drive wheel is poited and if power is supplied to the motor in the oposite polarity then the drive wheel will not move the scout car but will instead rotate the drive wheel to a poiting direction. A shaft from this drive wheel will be extended up to domed area on top and rotate a piolet or antenna or poiter in the same dirtection as the drive wheel so you know what direction the vehical will go. So this way a single motor can both steer and drive the car. Any way thats the way it looks in the video and thats the way I built mine back in the early 1980s, yes I thought I had a origional idea and built 2 robots with this action both are still out in the hut. One day we will find the patent for the Asto Base car and then add it too the thread.

a few more of the patent drawings for this great mechanical toy!

post-7-1275435096.jpg

post-7-1275435143.jpg

Original mold for the astronaut...

(one of my favorite pieces :) )

My Astro Base (complete, I believe) is kind of, you guessed it... buried :lol: as the box is a little big and the base can be fragile, so I buried it on purpose. I do love it, it's really a great toy! I got mine probably 20 or so years ago, $15. at a flea market in Queens, NY (anyone else remember the flea market in the old movie theater?) (working and really nice shape, and only missing a rocket tip which I picked up later on). It is fun!

I do have (a little more accessible) part drawings for it... when I come across them I'll try and add a few pics.

post-526-1275456448.jpg

• 5 years later...

I was wondering if anyone ever managed to track down the patent for the Ideal Astro car mentioned here. When I checked the number quoted it came up as the Brain car i think.

Archived