Introducing "artie"

distortionfile

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Found the forum last night and read through the first (last) 6 pages of the custom forums and you guys do some amazing work on these guys. From the modified repro's to the resin cast models I love it all.

This one is a bit different, in that I'm developing him to contend with today's hottest robot toys, especially the wowwee line. The current model is built from cardboard, super glue, motors and drive systems from many electronic toys, and circuit components I'm pulling from my various electronic junk bins.

Right now it has a remote with 4 buttons which allow basic motivation control. Forward, reverse, spin left, spin right. It's a 4 wheel driven tank tread movement system with rear trailing arm 6th wheels and full sprung suspension.

The plastic bits are from things like led flashlights and china made laser gun toys.

The inspirations are from older vintage toys, Magic Mike, (my personal favorite toy robot of all time) Johnny 5, (favorite movie robot) with a vintage/modern blend. I noticed from one of the threads that the arms may look a bit familiar.

Drive systems exist for the abdomen to rotate, the arms to rotate, and the head to rotate. I plan to add a fuller range of operation to the new arms I'm building, complete with working graspers, would like to add 2 axis head movement (left right up down)

and really need to develop a way for him to bend over forward so he can collect items from the floor.

I plan to use audio, IR, thermistor, and light sensing circuits to take 'mystery action' and crank it all the way to 11. I'm including an audio amplifier that will allow you to connect your ipod (or preferred device) and allow him to play your music, and perhaps even dance along. He will also be able to vocalize with sound effects.

I welcome any criticism or tips anyone would like to offer. I'm going to get my girlfriend to take some high quality shots the next time she's here and he's put together.

IMG00396.jpg

IMG00397.jpg

IMG00394.jpg

IMG00399.jpg

IMG00393.jpg

more to come, hope you guys like him.

distortionfile,

First off WELCOME. You will find the best folks on the net here. I am very impressed with your robot. That is some fancy building for sure. Eagle, Grandpa and John from the robothut are the electronic wizards here (IMO) and I am sure you guys will have a lot to talk about. Again welcome to the board and keep up the good work.

JimK

Great Work there Pal!

Scratch building is one of the best ways to build and try different styles. Been scratch building all my life and mostly build movie robots from pretty much anything I can get a hold of that's cheap, as for competing with Wowwee believe it or not they started the same way your doing it and got lucky by getting a sponsor who had the cash and believed in them so you never can know what happens in this world.

I happen to build the Model of Johnny 5 and am getting it made into a toy version this year, I'll let everyone know when it gets made and when I get some for sale. It's been a slow process and takes years but one day finally it gets done.

Best of luck with your Robots and hope to see you around these parts more often!

mmm

Thanks for the words of inspiration fellas. One thing that stuck out when I was examining the boards, only slightly over shadowed by the brilliance of the work I saw, was how pleasant and well mannered everyone was. This is obviously a mature place full of enjoyable people, and I can't wait to carve out my own space among the rest of you.

I made an exciting find today on a quick dash through the local goodwill. I picked up a little green notebook toy that had a basic looking message recorder. It was only 2.50 and as a rarity was actually with batteries and working so I got it. When I got home I discovered a little knob I assumed was volume. After adjusting it and pressing play, I was delighted to hear a different message recorded by someone sifting through the toys. It can store 4 5 second sound bites, which is enough for 4 unique phrases. The knob actuates two jumper plates across contact surfaces, much like automotive combination switches. I doubt it will find a home in artie as I'm making all his boards from scratch to leave the patent option open if I like, but as soon as I find a non-mint out of box Magic Mike, Sonic Sam, or Atomic Tommy (feel free to PM me offers, not actively seeking but can't turn down a good deal!) I would just love to implant this small chip inside with 4 much cooler messages. "I am the atomic robot, cower in fear puny humans!" It sounded pretty authentic when I pulled out the robot voice, even sounded scratchy like the real record player.

Welcome aboard distortionfile! I always like to see large custom built robots. Your prototype looks really cool. Is this your first robot project?

Welcome aboard distortionfile! I always like to see large custom built robots. Your prototype looks really cool. Is this your first robot project?

He's the first thing with any kind of automation. The original build was much boxier, and lacked suspension. It had simple led eyes with holders, and was motivated by the RC boards and controllers that came with the rc toy that donated the wheels and drive-train.

The very first simply had posing arms, and could rotate it's upper body left and right a small amount. That feature was lost in the second build when the arm functions were added, but has since been restored in the newest version.

I guess you could consider that 3 robots worth of experience with only one final product.

I forgot to mention my favorite thing about this guy. The whole reason I made him in the first place was the box he's made out of. It was a printer paper box that had a picture of several vintage bots on the cover. There was a chief style head, a forbidden planet style, and I believe one of the roto-matic too. I had kept the cover to get laminated and framed, but it seems to have been lost in the move since then. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and can get me a decent photo of it, I'd be forever grateful.

Archived