Detecto Alphabot 2010 Prototype #1

robothut

post-7-1274069635.jpgHere is a short video of the robot in operation on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc32ppP0J2I

And here is a page I made for my web site on the custom DETECTO robot.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/DetectoJKpage.html

The basic idea was to make a pin walking robot that could back up and turn away from a object. This prototype uses a simple RC timeing circuit that is triggered by the micro switches in the toes of the robots feet. I decided that the amount of time spent in this back up and turn away action was not all that important in that the robot would just trigger again if it did not clear the obstical the first time. The mechanics are based on a simple knee that can lock when the robot walks forward and but folds up when the robot walks backward. By placing this special knee in one leg only the robot will then turn when walking backward. I also added a spinning antenna on top of the robots head and two rotating scanner rings. The large flashing eyes and new nose design are different from 2009 alphabots as well. Since the robot was to be given to Joe K. I added his THE TOY ROBOT MUSEUM logo to the chest with a rotating gear display. The feet are a new design to hold the detector switches and the batterys slide up in to the legs. The batterys are held in with magnets. There flashing detecto beems in the hands of the robots swinging arms as well that flash.

post-7-1274069635.jpg

post-7-1274106539.jpgpost-7-1274106581.jpgpost-7-1274106616.jpgpost-7-1274106643.jpgThere were two more prototypes to follow Joe's DETECTO robot, I called these next two DETECTOR. The main differences would be the chest display would become a meter with moving pointer. There is also a second foot design so that different foot sensors could be used if need be. Instead of a simple RC timer circuit to control the back up and turn away time period I decided to use the Antenna, scanner ring / meter pointer motor. This would save on battery life as the antennas, scanner rings and mter would only be active when the robot is backing up and turning way from some thing. So prototype number 2 used a cam switch and relay to control the back up funtion and that worked well but I thought I could reduce the battery drain even more if I got rid of the relay and changed the arm linkage. So Prototype number 3 uses two cam switches and has new arm linkage to extend the battery life. I also found that I could buy on ebay high amperage recharge able batterys and a charger for less than buying good batterys in a store so all three robots have Lithium ion batterys and charges.

link too my web site on the bots.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/Detectorpage.html

post-7-1274106539.jpg

post-7-1274106581.jpg

post-7-1274106616.jpg

post-7-1274106643.jpg

John does this mean alphabot 2010 build is on the way. :D Really nice work. Love the meter and ingenious bump and go action.

post-7-1274132815.jpgpost-7-1274132771.jpgYou mean backup and turn action. Well I have not decided if I will be doing another run yet or not. But I did spend all winter building these prototype bots. I may have to give it a rest for this year. But then again I might get in the mood to spend a summer again building robots.

I will need to know just how many robots to build if I were to do it so that all the parts can be ordered at the same time to cut costs. Also I do not think it would be offered in kit form as this is a much more involved build than Alphabot 2009 was. There would be a box art contest but only one winner this time, all boxes would be the same and as for the color of the robot there would probably only be 2 or 3 choices. The goal would be to keep the costs the same as last year. I know it would be cool to do but I just do not know if I can give up the months of work required to do it. I might need helpers.

Here is the test box art for prototype #2 and #3.

post-7-1274132771.jpg

post-7-1274132815.jpg

I like the looks of them, good job!! Do you have a link to a good source for the Lithium ion batteries and chargers?

I just ran threw the Ebay auctions untill I found a good price for the batteries from one place in China and the chargers that I wanted from a second place in china, it only took 2 weeks for the then to arrive. My plan was that if there is a new build then I would do another search for the very best prices and order all the batterys and charges at once. I used the BUY IT NOW with free shipping china auctions.

Try this link for a 4 battery charger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280471235611

and this link for the AA 2600mAH 1.2V Rechargeable High Power Battery .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280477832246

John, I love Alphabot 2 and both boxes. The only thing I don't like is minor. I prefer the rings and spinners silver. Also love the hammertone colors. I agree that bots probably should be assembled complete although that's more work for you.

If orders have not been placed consider me the first.

Yes the top antenna and scanner rings are plastic so they can be painted any color, was just wanting to show the robots with plastic colr and in the case of Joes Detecto with painted silver antenna and scanner rings. The bright colored plastic parts do have a look that is not unlike what a actual toy would have but the painted version keeps a more consistant look I think.

Top notch work as always John. I love the new additions. I really can kick myself for missing out on the first run of alphabots. Maybe I will be in better shape for the next run.

JimK

Saw the video. This is one cool looking Alphabot. Love the turn action with arms moving and antenna spinning . :)

JOHN THIS IS YOUR BEST ALPHA BOT YET!! I HOPE , IF YOU DECIDE TO MANUFACTURE HIM , I'LL BE ABLE TO AFFORD HIM AND ADD HIM TO THE OTHER MUSEUM PIECES!! :)

These guys have detail and quality that makes them really stand out. I love the reverse and turn action, as well as the walking mechanics. It certainly shouldn't suffer from the 'cabinet lover' syndrome that makes bump n go loose it's wow factor.

Hi John:

I was very impressed with both the prototype and Joe K's guift at BotStock 7.

If you decide to do another build . I am in from the start.

Let us know if and when you want the money up front.

Thanks for my Yellow/Red Hot Alphabot.

I could not get it together to take it to Adamstown.

Have Fun !

Mr. Jan

Archived