Repro Action Planet Robot Quality Control

Nick in NY

Just received two of the new action planet repros, 1 red and 1 black. The black has to be given a big smack now and then to continue working as the windup mechanism gets stuck. The red version worked for about two seconds, and that's it. No matter how I smack it, shake it, kick it, or ask nicely, it will not operate. I'm wondering if it's worth exchanging for another one, or is the quality of the windups so iffy that it's not worth the time and postage. They look great, though. :unsure:

Gee, all these Planet Robot "anti-action" reports are making me a little nervous---I've got two of them coming in on the Wells Fargo wagon (today, I think), and I hate nothing worse than a bad windup right out of the box. Well, okay, I hate a bad B/O right out of the box a lot worse.

;)

Hey! I just noticed it says MECHANICAL PLANET ROBOT on the new boxes , not "action". Well now, that explains everything! :D

Guest neatstuff

Just in case the Chinese Tin Toy makers are reading these posts, let me say these few words loud and clear.

QUALITY is what tin robot collectors want. Spend the extra time to produce them with good quality. Then pass the extra few dollars more it would cost to have TOP quality control at the factory onto us. I don't believe you would hear a single complaint from any of us about the cost going up a few more dollars if the toy is of decent quality.

Do you hear us HaHa Toy FACTORY???

As the end consumer you guys should write the HaHa factor and tell them that you insist on better quality "reproduction" robots.

Tell them you want the toy to operate as it should, you want better quality.

email HaHa toys yjm@shhaha.com

why not let them know what you think!?

Do it NOW!

That was exactly my point with my question, Schylling and Rocket USA (I am almost sure they produce toys in China) have good quality toys at a reasonable price (for sure required by the brains here in th USA).

So Chinese factories KNOW how to do it right. Don't you think maybe all of the planet robots come from the same factory but they just apply more quality controls to certain lines of production and packed them different?

Don't you think maybe all of the planet robots come from the same factory but they just apply more quality controls to certain lines of production and packed them different?

duxastrogirl, you got a point there.

if you collect other toys like current Japanese "designer" toys, you might know this. fact is almost all japanese toy companies produce in china now and they practice exactly what you describe -

there are various "grades" in a production run. the best and highest quality are japan market only and not available anywhere else, then the second grades are general market distributions. of course this practice is not widely made known but i dare say all toy dealers and most serious collectors know this hence "JAPAN IMPORT" versions are more expensive and highly sought after.

for example, i collect the EVANGELION EVA die cast series and you find quite a bit of difference in fit and "feel", not to mention prices between the Japan market editions and the Hong Kong editions.

i suppose this applies to almost everything that is manufactured today, from toys to cars, just that we consumers don't hear of it. <_<

Reminds me of the inside story on Johnson & Evinrude outboard motors. For those who don't know (or care), Johnson outboard motors and Evinrude outboard motors are the exact same product except for cosmetic details. Same assembly line, in fact. The day shift made Evinrude, the night shift made Johnson. So, anytime you heard somebody comparing Johnson to Evinrude, saying one was "better" than the other, you had to snicker. And if any real differences ever appeared between the two names, one shift would blame the other for poor quality control.

Archived