The Lone Star Die Cast Dan Dare Gun

Tinplate6

This is another one of those classic ray guns as recognizable for its style as a '57 Chevy. B) The Dan Dare gun is a cast metal cap gun and measures 7.5 inches.

post-656-1270790252.jpg

This dynamic design was used in the Sting Ray gun, also by Lone Star, as well as over a dozen other plastic guns to appear in later years. What makes this unique is the streamlined shape and extensive use of wide fins, additionally the silver paintwork with candy red over spray was an unusual treatment at that time.

post-656-1270790301.jpgpost-656-1270790675.jpg

Make no mistake about it, these are really solid and heavy. If these guns were dropped the metal would bung and crush, as well as crack and even shatter sometimes, so to find one mint is very difficult. This one is in excellent condition with very few dings and almost no paint chips or scrapes. From the looks of the cap chamber, I don't think it was hardly fired at all. :huh:

post-656-1270790361.jpg

The makers marks are cast into the top ridge of the gun, below the sight and on the back of the cap chamber. :blink:

post-656-1270790392.jpg

I recognize Lone Star, but I'm not familiar with DCMT Ltd. Anyway, I've always wanted one of these as I have so few British guns, it is definitely a stand out piece. 🙂

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

I agree that this is such a classic design and your example is one of the best I have seen. I too especially like the finish and for one I think that a cosmetic repair to this finish would be difficult. Perhaps Phil could comment on this. :rolleyes: Another for my list which will soon be a book! :D

Wow, what a great example of this gun. It's a beauty! CC, painting of this type gun would not be difficult. I often have mixed metallics for grammaphones. The main thing be be concerned about is to hide the chipping before applying the paint. Grammaphones have heavy paint application. I don't think the paint is as heavy on the metal guns. This finish is a kind of flashing. The metallic finish on the stevens, etc. is chrome. That's impossible to match with paint as John Rigg will attest on robots.

I apologize for the sidebar on restoration. Again, TP, what a great example of that gun outside a boxed example.

post-221-1270815980.jpg

A fantastic ray gun, one of the best. Did you know it was supposed to blow smoke rings out the barrel? Supposedly true...

A fantastic ray gun, one of the best. Did you know it was supposed to blow smoke rings out the barrel? Supposedly true...

Smoke rings? Really? :huh: Hunh, that would be cool, but I guess we'll never know, as I have no intention of trying to fire it. I have a Sting Ray with the top of the hammer broken off, and I don't want that to happen to this one, the metal is so brittle. :mellow:

Agreed, I never pull the trigger on mine. I barely like to pop open the cap compartment because I'm afraid I'll screw something up...

Clunkclick, by any chance do you know what the initials DCMT Ltd stand for? :unsure: Is it Lone Star's parent company? :huh:

DCMT Ltd stands for Diecasting Machine Tools Ltd. I believe it was the parent company. Started in London around 1939.

DCMT Ltd stands for Diecasting Machine Tools Ltd. I believe it was the parent company. Started in London around 1939.

Super information, thanks Clunk. So, I guess we can date this to 1939 now hunh? :lol: ;) ^_^

Archived