Now A Model Citizen

tinluver2

I find collecting models -- any models -- to be kind of tricky. I never know how to answer the "Build or Not Build" question. On one hand, I want to have the toy robots -- especially with these models, where the robots actually move and fire missiles and do all sorts of neat things. But I don't want to be the jerk who ruins a mint, unopened, unbuilt kit! These toys have survived in pristine condition for 30, 40, 50 years...

I'm positively torn on the issue. I think both options are 100% correct! :blink:

Nice kits Tinlover! The box art is always awesome isn't it??? Seems there are many of us here that are collectors/builders of plastic kits as well as the collecting of the tin guys.

Yes Dr. A., I'm in that exact dilemma at this point. A rare kit I'd searched for many years finally turns up at the local annual model show/flea market in Toronto. As the piles of kits were being sold off, I spotted what looked like the one I'd been after for so long, I'd have even bought just the empty box when I saw it, asked the dealer about it and he said "It's pretty rare, I'll have to charge you $35 for that one." I only had $32 with me and he agreed to it (should've gone for more $$$ but I didn't say a woid) just took it and RAN. It's old store stock from '65 absolute perfection just like the one I built as a kid. Decided to keep it as is (Altaira agrees totally), no sense spoiling an old 'new' item. :lol: Now to find a complete built-up or two or another to build. ;)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG...those are the greatest Japanese robot kits ever! :o Where the heck do you find these? :blink: I have been looking for years on "the Bay" :unsure: , and I've maybe seen two. That's an incredible collection. Although, if it were me, I'd build 'em. These things are so rare that having them built up doesn't degrade their value any.

Thanks again for the comments.I am enjoying owning these kits and am lucky to have found them. Martin I will post some inside box pics as soon as I can. A few interior parts from Manmos King are very similar to Mr. Flash. motors are different so this changes the inside.Yes has a front lever as on-off switch and Antenea will revolves. Morbius congrats on finding your Holy Grail kit, curious if it was science fiction ,car or plane.Been looking for a few childhood model kits myself for years.(Lindberg kits)

Tinplate thanks for the comments.Just lucky to find these kits as I hardly ever come across them as well.Im sure they were never sold in the USA.

Here is another cool model I found built, just needed some touch up and a few rockets. Can use a motor if I were brave enough to take it apart (and I'm not) Steel Giant again by Midori

post-541-1270602391.jpg

post-541-1270602472.jpgDscn0281STEELGIANTsm.jpgDscn0281STEELGIANTsm.jpg

Here's the kit, MIB just like I like 'em, this is a scan of the actual box. B) I recall when my older brother in 1966 ran home to tell me about it, had it that summer when going through the U.S., was about 50c at the time there. Sometimes we just have to happen upon them, the search can still be the most fun!!

post-298-1270608832.jpgDemodemon.jpg

Here's the kit, MIB just like I like 'em, this is a scan of the actual box. B) I recall when my older brother in 1966 ran home to tell me about it, had it that summer when going through the U.S., was about 50c at the time there. Sometimes we just have to happen upon them, the search can still be the most fun!!

That is a great old kit.Congrats on finding it!

Thanks, yes it's a great day to add something you never think you'll find. Sometimes the 'grail' isn't an expensive item just something we have to have in the collection and especially great to have something back from the childhood.

Back in the late '70s and early '80's I was kit-bashing Japanese robot kits into my own creations, one was 'Alien' atop a 1/32 scale tank kit, added a circular saw-blade on one arm and various mechanicals all over him and had him attacking a 1/72nd scale lady on a desert scene...if I can come up with the pic I'll post it. Didn't keep these creations, they usually went on to someone who said to me "I like that". :glare:

Thanks for bringing model kits to the post, they're always fun for us who aren't blessed with the extreme talents like J.R.! :lol: B)

Love this thread. Les, never apologize for being post happy! We're happy you're post happy! More pics! :)

Hey, Les, will you be at Botstock this year?

As long as I have your attention here are a few more close ups.This one has a faded box but hard to come by and cool none the less

post-541-1271114935.jpgDscn0327TETSUWANBOYsm.jpg

This was one of my most sought after kits.Love the box and the model is pictured in Kitaharas" book. Would love to make Botstock but have a tough retail work schedual.Thanks for the heads up Brian!

post-541-1271115031.jpgDscn0494SAMSONsm.jpg

absolutely great! keep the pictures coming,pleassse :)

respect how you keep your cool to not build all the fantastic robots that are inside,

I'm afraid I would immediatly tear open the boxes and build them

(and then probably cry because I ruined those beautiful boxes :P )

I have bought the book about these kits last year,

but now its often advertised together with a dvd, which is also loose for sale this dvd.

kind of very expensive dvd though,

so wanted to ask you (if you have it) what is on this dvd?

is it worth the money?

thanks!

Archived